Blows main fuse when I turn on the key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blows main fuse when I turn on the key?

Electrical problem. I have a 1980 GS750L. It’s been a great motorcycle which I bought from a member of this wonderful sight about 13 years ago. It had 9,000 miles on it when I purchased it, it now has 28,000 and change. Until a little while ago it has been a “turn the key and go” type of ride! Except for maintenance items, this little bike has been a delight to own and ride with NO issues. However, about two months ago I was running some errands around town and it just quit running. I found the main fuse blown. Didn’t think much of it, put a new fuse in (15 amp) and continued on with no problems. However, a couple weeks ago it did the same thing, but when I put in a new main fuse, the moment I turned on the key, it blew again. I got a friend to come get me w/ his trailer and the bike has been parked since. I bought some new fuses and tried it again today, and again the minute I turn the key on the main fuse just fries. So, I figured I had a short someplace in my wiring. I pulled the tank off and exposed all the wires, looking very carefully for a break in the insulation or an obvious spot in the wiring where a short might be. I found nothing. As a matter fact, all of the insulation on the wires looked great and I found no places that were compromised. So, anybody got a suggestion of what might be causing this? What should I look at next? Thanks.

PAC, I will get a wire diagram and revert back with suggestions. You can put a test light in place of the fuse and remove things from the circuit until the light goes out. Could be anything from a shorted handlebar switch or headlight or even a shorted coil. Be glad to help and electrical is my specialty. The good news is that I am local, was on the island today and live just south of Brunswick near exit 29.
    1978 GS 1000 (pods, V&H 4 to 1, Dyna S, Dyna coils, stage 3 jet kit, Progressive springs, relay mod, 530 chain, Honda regulator, clutch basket welded and shimmed)
    1970 Honda C70

Comment

Unplug the R/R and see if the fuse blowing still happens. If not replace the R/R. Preferably series R/R (e.g. SH-775)

Comment

PAC315, looked at a diagram and have an idea. Remove the other 3 fuses and replace the Main fuse. It shouldn't blow when you switch on the key. The ignition switch powers the other 3 fuses so as you install the other fuses one by one, the circuit that causes the main fuse to blow will identify the culprit. If by chance the main fuse blows with the other 3 fuses removed, then the problem is the orange wire between the ignition switch and the fuse box. Hope this helps. PM me if you need some help.
        1978 GS 1000 (pods, V&H 4 to 1, Dyna S, Dyna coils, stage 3 jet kit, Progressive springs, relay mod, 530 chain, Honda regulator, clutch basket welded and shimmed)
        1970 Honda C70

Comment

Posplayr, I think the R/R is on this fuse but before the ignition switch so it would blow the fuse even with the ignition in the off position. He stated it blows when the ignition is switched to the run position.
          1970 Honda C70

Comment

Originally posted by PAC315 View Post
            ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the minute I turn the key on the main fuse just fries. So, I figured I had a short someplace in my wiring. .......................
            If the main fuse blows as soon as plug in a new one; then I would suspect the R/R.

But you say the main fuse blows as soon as turn on the key.
            I say to remove the head, the Signal, the Ignition fuse and the Aux fuse. Then if main fuse blows when turn on the key I would suspect something along the Orange wire from the Ignition swtich to the fuse block.
            If the fuse doesnt blow, then plug the other fuses one at a time.
            I suspect it will be the Signal fuse (org/grn circuit), and if so, disconnect the org/grn wires from the horns and try it again. THe power from the Signal fuse (org/grn) goes straight to the horns and then the other wire gowes to the horn button to complete the ground. But if is problem in the horn it can then short the power to ground. You would think should blow the Signal fuse but maybe it gets the main. Oh, the signal fuse should be a 10.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Attached portion of wire diagram, note R/R item 5 not part of ignition circuit but powered even with ignition in off position.
              image.jpg
              1970 Honda C70

Comment

Check your horn.
                -1980 GS1100 LT
                -1975 Honda cb750K
                -1972 Honda cl175
                - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Gumpster View Post
                  Posplayr, I think the R/R is on this fuse but before the ignition switch so it would blow the fuse even with the ignition in the off position. He stated it blows when the ignition is switched to the run position.
                  You would think so , but if the r/r had an random internal leak,say 3 amps, then when ignition is on and/or starter button is pushed you'd could be exceeding the the 15 amp fuse
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    You would think so , but if the r/r had an random internal leak say 3 amps, then when ignition is on and/or starter button is pushed you'd could be exceeding the the 15 amp fuse
                    Excellent deduction ,+10.

It could well be more like +5 amps but the same failure mechanism.

Very good. This is probably the best diagnosis I have seen here other than the fellow that figured out the leg to ground stator tests( it was not me).

Comment

A constant 3 or 5 amp draw with the ignition off. Really? That is a little more than an acceptable parasitic drain. Bike is fixed and it wasn't the R/R or stator.
                      1970 Honda C70

Comment

5 amps is the equivalent of a headlamp on all the time even when switched to the off position. 60 watts.....
                        1970 Honda C70

Comment

Originally posted by Gumpster View Post
                          A constant 3 or 5 amp draw with the ignition off. Really? That is a little more than an acceptable parasitic drain. Bike is fixed and it wasn't the R/R or stator.
                          So, what was it?
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                            So, what was it?
                            Gonna take more than that; 29 questions?

Comment

Has Elvis left the building?
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                              X