Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 with new coil relay mod & dyna-s timing + coils is now blowing fuses

Hello.

As the title suggests I have installed the Coil relay mod along with new Dyna-S and coils. I did a very thorough job and covered all connections with heat shrink so nothing should be grounding.

However, now its blowing 10A fuses in a circuit for turn signals, brake lights and gear position/neutral lights.

I have a feeling that it is blowing the fuses at higher revs, although haven't confirmed for sure yet.

I also have an issue with the charging system that I haven't got to the bottom of yet, that may be contributing to the problem. The charging system works but doesn't push back as much voltage as it should. I suspect I had this problem before installing the mod etc.

If anyone has any ideas where I should start looking I'd be most appreciative.

Also, would it be a bad idea to put a 15A fuse instead of 10A?

I'll attach a photo of my fuse compartment, which I don't think is standard. Its the signal fuse that is blowing...

Thanks in advance

PhilIMG_20181025_192754.jpg
    1979 GS550

Please start with mentioning what year GS550 we are considering. Early and later models have different ignition and charging systems, so that would be a help.

As for the fuses going "pop" have you searched for exposed wires on those circuts? Inspected the back of the fuse box for corrosion/insect nests etc yet?

The charging system issue could be totally sepearate. Either way, get ready to do some investigative digging.

Comment

I suspect a wiring problem. You should only need a 15Amp main fuse and 10 amp on all the others.

Comment

Its a 1979 GS.

I haven't inspected for grounds, but I will do as soon as I get a chance. I haven't really changed anything apart from the coil mod etc, and am sure none of that is grounding.

I think I have eliminated the higher revs as a line of enquiry...

Cheers
        1979 GS550

Comment

Working...
        X