New Reg/Recfor Li Ion Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Reg/Recfor Li Ion Batteries

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but I ran across an article that mentioned a new regulator/rectifier that is made specifically to work with Lithium Ion batteries. Apparently Ricks Motorsport Electrics developed the R/R in conjunction with Ballistic Batteries-- it is supposed to have the lower, steadier charging voltage that the Li Ion batteries need. I *assume* it's a shunt style, so there is a bit of a trade-off there of course. I have no affiliation with them, and am not using one. Just saw that they are out there and thought there are some folks here that might be interested.
    For racers or performance folks wanting to save battery weight that are not as concerned about stator life, it might be good option.
    Here is a link to one for a 2 valve GS750: https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com...ulator-14_202H. I know they have several others, but not sure of all the models. Saw it in a British classic bike mag, about reworking an old GS750.
    If anyone has thoughts or experience I would be curious to hear!
    Jason
    Regards,
    Jason

Lithium Ion or Lithium IRON
    "LiFePO4.... Lithium-iron batteries offer less energy density than other types of lithium-ion batteries but are more chemically stable and not as susceptible to thermal overrun that can cause a fire...." from https://www.sportrider.com/motorcycl...lithium#page-4
    not kidding..a bad combo on a bike with a gas tank ...apart from the obvious of too much pain-too lttle gain (what-no good in the cold?) Personally, I've held myself back because I'd be too tempted to just toss a diode in line with an old R/R output and also re-route the regulator's sense wire so it thought a lower voltage was time-to-stop charging....but still, I'd be nervous of larger current pulses versus a Li-Fe specs.... or the maybe regulator is going to get hotter being on the edge of base saturation too often??? oh well...
    THIS is interesting,IMO, as a discussion that brings up things

Comment

Boy , I sure don’t know why any battery company would be trying to market a battery not compatible with lead acid voltage ranges

Comment

Working...
      X