Turn signals problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals problem

The turn signals on my GS450 work ok when I'm moving along but stop working when the bike is idling with the lights on and I pull the brake lever. I've tried another known good battery with the same results. I've checked the voltage and the signals work at 12.5V but the relay does not click if the voltage goes below 12.2V (the idling voltage with the lights and the brake light on). I was wondering what else the problem could be (besides the flasher unit) as I cannot source it locally and it will take a couple of weeks to get here from overseas, especially at this time of the year. Thanks for any suggestions.
    1981 GS450

If you still have the original 30-year old flasher relay on, a modern non-thermal replacement can be had cheaply off ebay.

I'd recommend doing the checks as outlined in the stator papers: http://www.thegsresources.com/statorpapers.php and report back.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

The flasher on my 82 450t has two wires that plug directly into the flasher. Since there is no socket it could easily be replaced with pretty much any two lug flasher unit.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
        If you still have the original 30-year old flasher relay on, a modern non-thermal replacement can be had cheaply off ebay.

I'd recommend doing the checks as outlined in the stator papers: http://www.thegsresources.com/statorpapers.php and report back.
        Many thanks for your reply. I've gone through the checks and the voltages are all within specs. However, I then measured the voltage at the flasher unit plug (engine not running and unit not plugged in) and found that it was 11.4V with the lights on and 10.9V with the lights and brake light on. So it looks like there is a substantial voltage drop somewhere. So next step will be to check all the connections and clean up the contacts in the switches.
        1981 GS450

Comment

Originally posted by ssco156 View Post
          Many thanks for your reply. I've gone through the checks and the voltages are all within specs. However, I then measured the voltage at the flasher unit plug (engine not running and unit not plugged in) and found that it was 11.4V with the lights on and 10.9V with the lights and brake light on. So it looks like there is a substantial voltage drop somewhere. So next step will be to check all the connections and clean up the contacts in the switches.
          Had similar issues. Eventually it was fixed by replacing the handlebar switch module although the real problem may have been the plug under the tank.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
          X