Ignitor box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignitor box

Hi i havnt posted in ages here but think this is such a useful forum in every way but Would anyone poss have a good 850g ignitor box i could poss bye im in the uk many thanks befor i go down dyna s route

Hi, you need to tell us the year and model of the bike a good idea is to put that info in your signature so when you post it automatically shows.

If I remember correctly there where two types of igniter fitted to the 850 dependant on year of manufacture the early ones used the mechanical advance and retard the later had it done via the electronics in the igniter so you would need the correct one.

i have a unit however it is untested and I cannot test it due to the one on my bike being hard wired I removed the plugs which were very slack ang giving poor contact.
    The 850 units are very robust not something that goes wrong often it is important that the igniter see's 12v anything less can give problems have you tested ?
    Another thing that came up a little while ago was one of the igniter mounting screws provides an earth so it would be a gooog idea to remove the screws clean and replace before going down the dyno route.
    try using the search facility to look for igniter testing there is a piece about igniter testing somewhere.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
      Hi, you need to tell us the year and model of the bike a good idea is to put that info in your signature so when you post it automatically shows.

If I remember correctly there where two types of igniter fitted to the 850 dependant on year of manufacture the early ones used the mechanical advance and retard the later had it done via the electronics in the igniter so you would need the correct one.

i have a unit however it is untested and I cannot test it due to the one on my bike being hard wired I removed the plugs which were very slack ang giving poor contact.
      The 850 units are very robust not something that goes wrong often it is important that the igniter see's 12v anything less can give problems have you tested ?
      Another thing that came up a little while ago was one of the igniter mounting screws provides an earth so it would be a gooog idea to remove the screws clean and replace before going down the dyno route.
      try using the search facility to look for igniter testing there is a piece about igniter testing somewhere.
      Mines a 1980 and its the black box type its been custom wired ive checked all voltage and resistance but if i swap over ground wires to coil i get a spark also ran wires directly from ignitor to coils im nearly 100% sure its ignitor as it went wrong after fitting dyno coils 😑

Comment

Which coils did you fit? I recently had to change the ignitor on my wife's 850L because the Accel coils were the wrong ones.

If you got the green coils with 3 ohms resistance, you should be good. If you installed something with less resistance, you will want to change the coils, too.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Which coils did you fit? I recently had to change the ignitor on my wife's 850L because the Accel coils were the wrong ones.

If you got the green coils with 3 ohms resistance, you should be good. If you installed something with less resistance, you will want to change the coils, too.
          The were 3ohm dynatek grey ones just need a good black box to try as ive put my old good coils back on and its still the same i had no problems with it till i changed the coils which were ment for the gs which i got of someone who had them on theres and took them off when he sold it where did you get you replacement ignitor from as im struggling to find one thats good dont trust ebay

Ride like the wind bullseye

Comment

I trusted eBay (again).

I have purchased more than one ignitor for that bike. Don't know why I never bothered to diagnose the problem, rather than simply throw parts at it, but this last time, I decided to find out why I kept blowing ignitors. Found that one of the previous owners (not the one immediately preceeding us) had installed 0.7 ohm Accel coils, which simply let too much current through the ignitor, and it could not handle it.

I will be changing the coils this winter, but in the meantime, I have installed ballast resistors to help keep the current down to reasonable levels.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X