Speedometer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer question

Hello I have a '79 GS550 on which the speedo is dead, and the rev-ometer very laggy.

I haven't tried a new drive unit, but Have tried a new cable. When I turn the wheel the drive in the cable turns so I presume it must be the speedo.

I've found a matching one on eBay, that allegedly works, but is missing the trip meter pin. Mine has a trip meter pin. What do you reckon my chances are of putting my pin into the other one?
    1979 GS550

If the speedo is dead you have nothing to lose, so you might try this. Last summer my speedo needle would jump all over the place and a good shot of silicone into the hole in back would calm and quiet it down but only about 1,000 miles at a time. Looking for a solution I cut it in half, cleaned out the innards with rubbing alcohol and lubed it up with 3 in 1 oil. Then it was fastened back together with gorilla tape and remounted, has worked flawlessly and quiet ever since!
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I think I have a spare speedo here. I'll be in the workshop later to check.
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Bill,
        Assuming you resolved the issue, how did you get the knob/pin out to put it in the replacement? I have to replace the glass on my 1984 GS 750 EF, but i can't budge the knob or pin.

Thanks, Rory

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
          If the speedo is dead you have nothing to lose, so you might try this. Last summer my speedo needle would jump all over the place and a good shot of silicone into the hole in back would calm and quiet it down but only about 1,000 miles at a time. Looking for a solution I cut it in half, cleaned out the innards with rubbing alcohol and lubed it up with 3 in 1 oil. Then it was fastened back together with gorilla tape and remounted, has worked flawlessly and quiet ever since!
          2 things I wanna add for future reference:
          You can carefully pry back the steel bezel around the perimeter so you can tap it back into shape after the repair.
          You can snap off the 85MPH stop pin on the face, and paint new gradient marks so you can read your MPH all the way up to the bikes limit.
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 01-01-2019, 04:41 PM.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by bill_face View Post
            ...... When I turn the wheel the drive in the cable turns so I presume it must be the speedo..........
            Have you tried that, but with trying to hold it from spinning....? It may be stripped-broke but can turn with no load on it, but add a little load to it and see if that stopps it. Try this with the drive and/or the cable.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              2 things I wanna add for future reference:
              You can carefully pry back the steel bezel around the perimeter so you can tap it back into shape after the repair.
              You can snap off the 85MPH stop pin on the face, and paint new gradient marks so you can read your MPH all the way up to the bikes limit.
              Tried to pry the ring but the body of the speedo is made of soft plastic, it tore up the plastic and never made a dent in the ring itself which is why I sawed it in half.
              Last edited by LAB3; 01-02-2019, 03:26 PM. Reason: removed the picture
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
              X