Researching Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Researching Coils

After exhausting all possible flue issues on my 1980 GS550l I believe I now need new coils. A help full motorist, assisting me when the bike stalled, tried to get a spark from the coil wire cap with the aid of a conductive screwdriver and grounding that on the motor head. There was no sign of electrical activity. So i'm trying to see if I can get some help shopping for new ones. Price is not as much of an obstacle as is making sure I get a compatible part. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-26-2018, 05:27 PM.

There're a few good vendors on eBay that I'm sure could supply the right coils. But I need to ask: You've checked the spark plug caps for 5k resistance, right? Apparently they fail often. Just throwin' it out there.
    '78 GS750E (currently undergoing TLC).

Comment

Dyna green coils are popular for GS bikes with the stock electronic ignition
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Flue issues ..... ?

What else have you checked to cause you to condemn the coils.....?
        The coils are less susceptible to failure than other things in the system, especially to conciser both failing at same time...

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

If all 4 have failed, more likely the ignitor has failed.
          If one has failed, the cap is suspect

You need to break out the VOM and do some tests
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Can you recommend a test for the igniter itself? Although a coil upgrade isn't a bad idea with the age of the bike, I'd like to rule them out.

Comment

We have replaced the petcock, fuel line, and vacuum hose. Also had carbs rebuilt and vacuum synced.

Comment

The test is in the factory manual
                You downloaded one, right?
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have not

Comment

Hey all. Been helping Steve with this bike. Big T, any chance you have a link for the shop manual?
                    1982 Suzuki GS650G - "Blackbird"
                    sigpic
                    Progressive Fork Springs; Gas piggyback shocks; Electrosport Stator; Dyna 3 Ohm Coils; Shindengen SH775 Series Regulator/Rectifier; Avon Road-Rider Tires; Salty Monk Front Brake Mod [CBR Aftermarket Rotors, Concours Calipers / Master Cylinder]; Steel brake lines
                    [Much Love to my wrenching Jedis: TheCafeKid, Steve, Dogma; without you, Bird's awesomeness would remain unrealized.]
                    http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/...psef4f3ca6.jpg

Comment

Make sure he is aware of BassCliff's Library, where he can download a copy of his manual. Click the links.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X