Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connector between stator and R&R

All,
    Can I use regular spade connectors between the stator and the Regulator/rectifier? I currently use this but it takes up a bit of space and I have to really get it in the 'right space' for my covers to fit correctly.
    IMG_0016.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2018, 03:19 PM.

You can use anything, but the biggest issue is corrosion of contacts.

proper treatment of the contacts is highly recommended.

Many people just solder the R/R direct to the stator and avoid the problem.

If you use a connector make sure to keep all contacts and crimps very clear. I prefer to flow a little solder into the crimps as that is where the problems usually start. Then you just have to keep the actual contact surfaces clean.

DeoXit with a final protective coat of dielectric grease is the best practice.

Comment

Stock was brass bullet connectors, male on Stator end. Like POSPlayr said, most solder and heat shrink the connections.
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
        Like POSPlayr said, most solder and heat shrink the connections.
        I will have to say that I am very happy to NOT be in the "most" category.

I use a latching version of this, and I found them in black.

None of mine (2 850s and a 1000G) route the wire that high, behind the side cover, so it has never been an issue. My stator wires come out from under the starter cover, then run back, over the top of the transmission, to the connector. From there, the other side of the connector runs to the SH775, which is mounted under the battery box. I realize that not everyone has the luxury of choosing where to mount the R/R, if the stock location does not work well, but under the battery box is the stock location on the shafties and works very well. No stator wires under the side covers. That space is reserved for the Eastern Beaver fuse boxes.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X