Replace stator as a maintenance item?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
    ...................... because I did it...
    evidence thereof

(BC 2017)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
      Thanks for everyone's input on this, I'll probably pull of the cover just out of curiosity.
      Curiosity at this time of year is good, as you have plenty of time to make a rational and well researched decision about what is in there. I'm not all that trusting of aftermarket stators being wound with the sort of wire I like to use and being properly potted. OTOH rewinding your own is a lot of work. I've had great results with polyimide coated wire; look into the properties of various insulating coatings as the range of temperature resistance is quite significant. Magnet Wire Services - if they still exist - had specs charts online.

I'd rather trust an OEM from a GS500 or similar that is in good condition over a who knows what. But I recall looking at the stator from an SV650 and it looked like the only difference was in the wiring lead. Given that the SV is liquid cooled I'd expect it to be less temperature stressed than a GS one.

Whatever you do, I'd at least replace the three cross head screws that hold it in with socket heads [and some blue loctite] so you don't need to deal with an impact driver on the road. Same goes for any other cross head case screws and such.

And the last few years I've been running one from a 1980 400 that I got on Ebay for $14. 450s run pretty cool - lots of fins and a big sump - and with an SH775 they just don't seem very problematic.
      Last edited by John Park; 01-10-2019, 12:58 PM.
      '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
        Once the cover is off you are half way to a new stator -- they are not so expensive to just do it ...
        And then have a known good one as a spare (small enough to stuff in a saddlebag on a long ride...
        Just my 2¢ - because I did it...
        I did the same. No evidence thereof. Except some photos that I'll never locate until I stumble upon them years from now. I brought the spare with me to Brown County, just in case. Even later, when I came on a Goldwing. Just in case. Odds are reasonable that it'll come in handy for somebody.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
          Curiosity at this time of year is good, as you have plenty of time to make a rational and well researched decision about what is in there. I'm not all that trusting of aftermarket stators being wound with the sort of wire I like to use and being properly potted. OTOH rewinding your own is a lot of work. I've had great results with polyimide coated wire; look into the properties of various insulating coatings as the range of temperature resistance is quite significant. Magnet Wire Services - if they still exist - had specs charts online.

I'd rather trust an OEM from a GS500 or similar that is in good condition over a who knows what. But I recall looking at the stator from an SV650 and it looked like the only difference was in the wiring lead. Given that the SV is liquid cooled I'd expect it to be less temperature stressed than a GS one.

Whatever you do, I'd at least replace the three cross head screws that hold it in with socket heads [and some blue loctite] so you don't need to deal with an impact driver on the road. Same goes for any other cross thread case screws and such.

And the last few years I've been running one from a 1980 400 that I got on Ebay for $14. 450s run pretty cool - lots of fins and a big sump - and with an SH775 they just don't seem very problematic.
          Nice synopsis.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            evidence thereof

(BC 2017)
            A Special thanks to Brett , who gave up a day of riding to help me find and R &R my dead stator on the grounds of the BC Rally Convention site.
            Currently in the Stable :
            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
            X