'79 GS850 turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 GS850 turn signals

My GS850 does not have the TURN SIGNAL CONTROL UNIT, but has the flasher unit. Is there a way to convert to manual control by putting jumpers in the connectors for the control unit?

Any other suggestions for eliminating TSCU?

Thanks in advance
    Brian

I see from the wiring diagrams for other GS's, that don't have TSCU's, that power is fed to the flasher unit continually and the flasher unit output goes to the common terminal of the turn signal switch. When the switch is pushed for R or L signal the flasher output is directed to the appropriate lights. This seems very simple; could my wiring be modded to work like that?

Comment

I can't answer your question directly but I do know there are several older threads in the archives which detail how to convert your turn signal system to full manual. You may want to try a search on "TSCU" and then toggle "titles only". Several older threads come up.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

OK, will do. Thanks

Comment

You should also know, while doing your research, that the '79 version of the self-cancelling signals was unique. It changed CONSIDERABLY for the '80 model year and remained that way.

About the only thing that the two systems have in common is the general fact that, when working properly, they would cancel the signals after a pre-determined time traveling above a certain speed.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here is what I did: I modded the turn signal switch by eliminating the signal cancel function (up / down) and eliminating the spring return to centre of the left, right function. The switched left, right signals control separate N/O relays for left and right which direct the flasher output to the turn signal lights.

For the cancel function I disconnected the power wire from the lever pivot and added washers to the pivot to reduce up/down play. To eliminate the spring-to-centre action I removed the spring in the slider that connects power to left or right circuit.

It works but the off position in the middle of the switch travel is fairly narrow so that, for example, when switching the left turn signal off care must be taken not to go too far and turn the right signal on. The trick here is to push the lever toward centre and also down so the it goes down into the recess.
            turn signal switch.jpg

Comment

When my '80 LH switchgear fell apart through age and mileage, I replaced it with a period Yam cluster with the same functions that I'd always liked.
              The self-cancel doesn't, but that's no big loss to me.
              The only drawback is the ancient Yam switches are getting unreliable nowadays too (as I found with the XS) so I'll be looking to re-deploy some GS500 switchgear, as those were in production for a long time and many are only a few years old. Or maybe Honda Deauville switches - I've already used Deauville master cylinders and clutch levers on two of my bikes.
              Last edited by Grimly; 02-19-2019, 09:27 AM.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Grimly, I've been looking at the switches on my '82 GL1100 that is sitting right beside the Suzuki. Same functions and much nicer quality. I'm not a purist so certainly not above using nonOE parts if they work better.

Comment

Working...
                X