• Show
Clear All

Gsx1100EF Help Spark Plug

Today I finished the bike:
    New Spark Plugs BR8ES
    New air filter
    spark Plug Cables new
    Clean and synchronized carburetors
    But I find myself with a problem, after having tried for about 40 miles (the engine runs well and pulls hard) I removed the plugs again and as you can see... It seems very lean to me what you say?

upload image to url

It may depend on the brand of gasoline you use but I think modern gasoline does this. My spark plugs are also very clean and white ,like yours. The old sparkplug diagnosis charts may be obsolete.

If the motorcycle doesn't have other "lean" symptoms don't worry.

(thanks to member John Park who pointed this out to me)

Comment

In the states GS 1150's run NGK D9EA plugs.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

The witches' brew that is modern petrol usually fails to give the classic range of tan colours, instead you have to re-calibrate your senses to try and make out a shade of dirty grey or medium grey or light grey. If it only remained consistent that would be good. I find that petrol from one supplier might give a suggestion of tannish-ness but another might stick stubbornly to the greyscale.
        Only way to be absolutely sure is some AFR gauge for the full range, or a colortune, which will at least tell you what the idle is like and if you have the right needles and jets in, you won't be far wrong.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
        X