Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS550E with ND coils and Kokusan points??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E with ND coils and Kokusan points??

Hi guys

My 1980 GS550E has a really hard time starting. Only way to start the bike is with a bump start. it will drain the battery before starting with the start button.
    I have done all the maintenance I can like valve clearance, carbs cleaned with ultrasonic cleaner and new o rings. cleaned all connections, carbs sync with vacuum sync.
    I also did the coil relay mod.
    When I finally get the bike to start, it runs like crap. It bogs and the idle will hang and then return to normal and die. i also checked for air leaks but cannot find any using starter fluid around intake boots and carbs.
    Spark plugs are always black/sooty even when using the colour tune. Stock jets
    The no 1 and 4 point's are also producing a weaker spark compared to no 2 and 3 which is bright and blue.

Do you think the problem is ignition/electrical?
    Is it normal to have ND coils and Kokusan Points?
    sigpic 1980 GS550E

Did you replace the intake boot o-rings ? If no ,see this link...

the nd coils likely came with KD point setup...are primary ohms are in 5 ohm range?..try new points and condensers
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes intake boot o rings was replaced.
      Primary ohms at around 7.5ohms
      sigpic 1980 GS550E

Comment

The brand of the coils and points not matching should not be an issue. The Kokusan points (and their condensors) are not interchangable with NipponDenso points (and their condensors), but they provide the same function in the same way, so it won't matter if you have ND coils, Dynatech coils, Accel coils, or whatever you have available in your country.

How dirty were your carbs before you cleaned them? Did the bike run before the carb cleaning? If not, how long had it been since the bike ran well? How completely did you dismantle the carbs before tossing them in the tank? I have no doubt that ultrasonic cleaning of the carbs will accomplish some fine cleaning, but I have no personal experience with it, so I don't know how well it will remove the crud from SERIOUSLY clogged passages.

I am asking these questions because I have just completed rebuilding a set of carbs for another member. He recently bought the bike, so does not know any of its history, but there were no claims of carb cleaning, either chemical or ultrasonic. When they arrived, I thought he might have sent me the wrong carbs. Outside, they appeared near-perfect. Only the slightest hint of crud in a deep corner. I dropped the float bowls. Again, near-perfect. Not even a sediment line on the sides of the floats. Then the fun began. As I dismantled further, three float valves were completely plugged. Only one main jet was plugged. The needle jets (emulsion tubes) had so much crud on them, they had to be be hammered out. The slides also had to be removed with considerable force. Since all of that crud was in areas that would not be accessible without complete dismantling of the carb, I had to ask.

An engine slow to return to idle and black, sooty plugs don't usually go together.
        Slow to return to idle is usually indicative of a lean mixture. You have not found a leak by using starter fluid. Don't worry, I have never found a leak with ANY fluid sprayed around any of the joints. Somehow, air will still find a way in. Assuming it's a leak. It could be a simple matter of adjustment. What is the setting on your pilot (mixture) screws? When these carbs were new, they were set lean to meet emission standards, and might have been in the 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turn range. As they have aged, and the gas formulation has changed, the setting also needs to change. I start with a rich mixture (which burns easier) by having the screws three full turns out, then adjusting them in as necessary. Most of the carbs I have adjusted end up in the 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 turn range, but each carb will be different, so don't just pick a number and set them all.

If all the adjustments are correct, it could be a simple matter of technique. Proper starting technique is to verify proper level of fuel in the carbs (PRIme, if necessary). Set the "choke" by pulling it out all the way. Turn the key ON. Pull the clutch lever (if you were "blessed" with this "safety" feature). Push the starter button. Do NOT touch the throttle. If the engine starts and races, adjust engine speed with the "choke" button. The "choke" system on these carbs relies on the high vacuum of a CLOSED throttle, so if you open the throttle AT ALL, it will not work.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I took the carbs completely apart. everything I could remove I did. followed the tutorial.
          The bike has never ran great since I bought it. I have no idea regarding its history.
          I also bought new emulsion tubes.

The pilots are set at 2 turns out.
          My 1000G starts great using full choke with no throttle but this GS550 wont.
          The biggest issue is the bogging starting at 2000rpm up. It wont even reach 6000rpm.
          sigpic 1980 GS550E

Comment

Why is there such a big difference in spark at the points?
            sigpic 1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by Vloukole View Post
              Why is there such a big difference in spark at the points?
              There should be NO spark at the points.

Replace the condensors.

I am also wondering why your 1980 bike has points. Our last points were on the '79 models. By 1980, they all had electronic ignition.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Should I go with new points and condensors?
                sigpic 1980 GS550E

Comment

Examine the points. If they are clean, with sharp edges, they should be OK.

If you see sparks at the points, replace the condensors.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks Steve

Could you point me in the right direction as to where I could order them from? Im from South Africa
                    sigpic 1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      There should be NO spark at the points.

Replace the condensors.

I am also wondering why your 1980 bike has points. Our last points were on the '79 models. By 1980, they all had electronic ignition.

You guys over in the States got electronic ignition a year before us in the UK. My 550ET has points, a 550EX over here has electronic ignition. Can't say for certain in the case of South Africa, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the same scenario. Suzuki liked to empty the parts bins.
                      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Sounds about right.
                        sigpic 1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by Vloukole View Post
                          Could you point me in the right direction as to where I could order them from? Im from South Africa
                          Check with member 2BRacing. He is from closer to Cape Town, but still might be able to help.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Check with member 2BRacing. He is from closer to Cape Town, but still might be able to help.

Thanks for the referral Steve! I checked with my local OEM dealer, and the points and condensers are available here, but at a price equivalent of about US$360 for the full set of 4 items!!!

I received a PM from the OP and have replied to him with the above information. I recommended that he change to electronic ignition from a later model GS500 or fit Dyna ignition. I have seen many posts here on GSR about such a change, and suggested he does some reading about it. I am sure it will be cheaper for him even if he has to get a Dyna system from the US.
                            1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

/\ /\ This is why this place is the best. GSers helping other GSers all over the world. Faith in humanity restored.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                              X