Lithium Ion Battery Dying During Drive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lithium Ion Battery Dying During Drive.

I have a 1978 Suzuki GS550, dyna ignition and coils, I upgraded the stator, I upgraded the R/R when I was first building the bike, I bought a shorai lithium ion battery due to space and saving weight. So now that the weather is nice I'm out here trying to enjoy it and I was driving around the complex and it suddenly just shut off on me completely died that's not the fist time that has happened, anyone know how can I go about fixing this problem? How do I diagnose?

A bit more information is needed. You mentioned it wasn't the first time, what did you do to get it to restart? Second question: You also mentioned upgrading the regulator, was is made for use with a lithium battery?
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

What kind of R/R are you using - Series (like the SH775) or a Shunt (like the Honda and OEM ones)? It's possible that the battery isn't liking the way it's being recharged. In my opinion, you would be better off with an AGM-style battery much like the Motobatt or similar
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I really hate to pile on here, but the history of a Lithium battery on a GS is not all that good.

I will have to ask similar questions, because they really are that important.

What "upgraded" stator did you install?

What "upgraded" R/R did you install?

For diagnosis:
        1. What is your battery voltage when fully-charged?
        2. Battery voltage when the key is ON, but bike is not running?
        3. Battery voltage while starter button is being pressed to start engine?
        4. Battery voltage right after engine starts?
        5. Battery voltage at idle, after engine warms up enough to turn "choke" off?
        6. Battery voltage at 5000 RPM?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi everyone, first and foremost you guys are correct I should have included all the specific details that matter to this topic
          The R/R I bought on amazon which is made by Caltric part number : R88-4.
          The Stator is made by ElectroSport 12pole stator part number: GS015.
          I know you guys are the pros here, guide me and teach me I'm all ears to great knowledge.

Comment

Neither one of those part numbers showed any search results. A 12-pole stator is correct, unless a previous owner has changed the rotor to a newer 18-pole. The R/R will be an older shunt-style. Better than nothing, but not nearly as good as the Shindengen SH775 that is highly recommended here.

Your next step would be to follow the steps in post #4 and show us the results. We can then give better guesses on what might be wrong.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

When I entered Caltric R88-4 it showed what appears to be an aftermarket replacement for the stock Suzuki regulator. That would "work" for a typical lead-acid battery (for awhile anyway) but not a lithium battery. My guess is the regulator and battery aren't playing well together. Steve mentioned the SH775 which is a great choice but it isn't made to work with a lithium battery either.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                My guess is the regulator and battery aren't playing well together. Steve mentioned the SH775 which is a great choice but it isn't made to work with a lithium battery either.
                You are probably correct, but I don't know of ANY readily-available R/R that will work with a lithium battery, so I figured we should at least suggest the best one for a lead-acid battery (sealed or otherwise).

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  You are probably correct, but I don't know of ANY readily-available R/R that will work with a lithium battery, so I figured we should at least suggest the best one for a lead-acid battery (sealed or otherwise).

I've seen ONE that is (can't recall where) and it was over $200!

Comment

There are a couple on eBay right now that are in the $60-65 range.

There are also a couple of NEW ones for $109:

These all have pictures of the SH775 on the back fin, which is a better guarantee that they might be genuine.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Might have been a misunderstanding there, the Lithium compatible rectifier was $200. Took a look around earlier today and there are some on the market in the $130 range. Found this video and anyone who's looking to go with a lithium battery might want to check it out.

Comment

I've read that lithium batteries prefer charging voltages of no more than 14 volts, but I don't know this for a fact. In the case of the OP's bike I suspect the system isn't charging at all. Most likely the factory wiring is botched. That's why it's always best to rewire the charging system from scratch.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          I've read that lithium batteries prefer charging voltages of no more than 14 volts, but I don't know this for a fact. In the case of the OP's bike I suspect the system isn't charging at all. Most likely the factory wiring is botched. That's why it's always best to rewire the charging system from scratch.
                          Yeah, that's a good bet. The OP really needs to give us some more info, we're just kind of talking to ourselves here! Either way, a battery or regulator replacement is in order.

Comment

Might have been a misunderstanding there, the Lithium compatible rectifier was $200.
                            You are correct, there was a misunderstanding. I was pursuing the wrong R/R.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            In the case of the OP's bike I suspect the system isn't charging at all.
                            The OP really needs to give us some more info, we're just kind of talking to ourselves here!
                            I asked for that five days ago, back in post #4. Still haven't seen anything.

I'll check back, but there's no sense guessing.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

For those still reading, Rick's are doing a proper lithium battery reg/rec. No mention or it being series or shunt.

That one in the video above. I wonder if it's a series job.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X