Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'85 GS550ES - Doesn't run after it warms up - Pulse Generator issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'85 GS550ES - Doesn't run after it warms up - Pulse Generator issue?

Backstory: I have an 85 GS550es. It that has been passed through my wifes family and has gotten back to my wife. My father-in-law bought this bike in highschool (~1989ish) and then sold it and bought it back years later, my wife grew up riding on the back of this bike. I am trying to get this back up and running, It means a lot to her.

It will start up and run for about 5 minutes or so but then will die and refuse to start again.
    I have replaced the rectifier and also did the Coil Relay mod. Carbs where taken out and cleaned. It seems to run a little rich, I have yet to tune it/sync the carbs.

All the information I have come across points to the Pulse generator pickups being bad..
    I have yet to go out and OHM test the pickups.
    Can anyone confirm this?

I believe the part number is 33110-43400 "Generator Assembly"
    Is that the right P/N?
    But I can't find anything used and a new one is expensive.
    Does anyone have a good working one?

Does anyone know of a interchange part?
    I came across
    33110-44420. Which looks the same other than it might have a condenser wire and the plug is the same but would be easy to splice to the other harness.
    Or possibly modify to work.

Anyone know of an aftermarket products? I tried looking into Dynatek. but seems like they don't make anything for this year of bike.

Can't I just buy 2 generic pickup points and modify them to work with the crank pickup?
    Has anyone ever tried this?

I am all for any other information anyone has to give me.

Thanks!

Well, it could be a different problem altogether.
    Check your oil level and see if the oil smells like gas

If it does, change the oil and find out where the gas came from(petcock)

Otherwise, when it stops running, pull a spark plug and see if you have spark.

If not, the ignitor is suspect.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

" can't I just buy 2 generic pickup points and modify them to work with the crank pickup?"

sadly no...your 85 has the ignitor with the advance curve built in electronically. Older ones use a mechanic advance,which a dyna setup needs. Check your connections thoroughly in the ignition system ..it seems odd that the ignitor would crap out after 5 minutes,yet restart eventually.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
      X