No announcement yet.

Tired of replacing headlights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check this company out. I would highly suggest converting to a standard reflector for H4 bulbs. They have high quality products: https://store.candlepower.com/ca53mohe.html
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Yes, the reflector is the way-to-go. BUT as to
      if you must use a sealed beam look for a special one made for motorcycles, pickups,farm equipment...the wattage will match the motorcycle manual's specs and the lifetime should be much longer.
      when I was looking for a square sealed beam for a fairing I did some research and downloaded a pdf that is a bit too big to post here. Look for something called a "sealed beam product index" or the like.You have to find your lamp size in it but as an example...

"Auto Headlamp, Heavy Duty 50/60watt (part no.6016) offers 200/300 hours lifetime
      versus
      "Halogen Auto HeadlampLong Life" 65/35watts (part no.H6024LL) which offers lifetime 900/1500 hours...

go figure...I found a reflector before I got so far as buying a sealed beam from it's info but it might be an answer for you. But buying a sealed beam carlamp off the shelf is a definite fail as far as I'm concerned.

ADD: just as an idea, on a desert island where I had just my stuff, and a cheapo sealed beam, I MIGHT experiment with reducing the wattage at the lowbeam to make it last longer...an air-cooled resistance might do or even a big fat diode ...either would reduce the watts and of course the brightness, but it might last longer as I bounced over the rocky reefs at night...

Added more..since I'm in the mood for haywire, I might be able to winkle the element out of the sealed beam and replace it with a bulb- this I've actually done with some sealed beams that allow it. Gooping in a bulb is a bit tricky to get the orientation right but it can work for ...(need I say it ) -too long!
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-02-2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X