Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for a spare SH775,what's a fair price here ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking for a spare SH775,what's a fair price here ?

I'm running a great Reg/rectifier from a CBR900 Honda donor bike gifted to me from a very nice forum member in Detroit when I drove my GS450T from there back to Davis,Ca where I live.That item came in real handy when my stock one gave up in Wyoming,it got me home and has been 'Golden' ever since then.I don't expect it to 'go out' on me anytime soon but just in case I want to find a good spare,an SH775 standard 5-wire reg/rect that are available on many used Japanese motorcycles.
    What do some of you gsr forum members usually charge each other to purchase one from each other here ?

The going rate for a "cheap" used one on ebay seems to be around $35-$45. I believe there is a forum member here that buys them used, and then tests them and sells them here. I'm sure they'll be along shortly if I'm remembering correctly.
    1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
    1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
    Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Ok,
      Thanks for the reply

Comment

They occasionally show up at $35 but the price has been rising. A lot of the cheap units are FHxxx parts which look the same as the SH775. If someone has the time and the ebay photo doesn't show the lettering then you could message the seller and ask them to look at the unit and provide more info. A lot of sellers won't jump through hoops for a $35 sale though so don't be surprised if they don't respond back.
        Last edited by Nessism; 07-24-2019, 08:11 PM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'll have to clear up a couple of items here.
          Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
          I'm running a great Reg/rectifier from a CBR900 Honda donor bike gifted to me ... I don't expect it to 'go out' on me anytime soon ...
          Usually, it's not the R/R that "goes out". It's the R/R that causes the stator to overheat and "go out".

... just in case I want to find a good spare,an SH775 standard 5-wire reg/rect that are available on many used Japanese motorcycles.
          As far as I know, there are no SH775 R/Rs that were standard on any motorcycle, let alone 'many used Japanese' bikes. The best source for them (other than new) is from Polaris side-by-side vehicles and SeaDoo personal watercraft.

What do some of you gsr forum members usually charge each other to purchase one from each other here ?
          Since we would have to do the shopping, then purchase, wait for shipment, test, ship to you, etc., most of us are more likely to send you the results of a search and let you do your own shopping, but Nessism has been doing some careful shopping to ensure that you would get a genuine article that works.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rust_to_Redemption View Post
            ..........I believe there is a forum member here that buys them used, and then tests them and sells them here. ....... .
            perhaps confusing with the guy (dunnage?) that gathered used Honda r/r (and modified the connectors) and then sold then. These are not the ones being asked about.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Well, I want one for $35-45 if anyone has one,that's my word on what I'm looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I'll have to clear up a couple of items here.

Usually, it's not the R/R that "goes out". It's the R/R that causes the stator to overheat and "go out".

As far as I know, there are no SH775 R/Rs that were standard on any motorcycle, let alone 'many used Japanese' bikes. The best source for them (other than new) is from Polaris side-by-side vehicles and SeaDoo personal watercraft.

Since we would have to do the shopping, then purchase, wait for shipment, test, ship to you, etc., most of us are more likely to send you the results of a search and let you do your own shopping, but Nessism has been doing some careful shopping to ensure that you would get a genuine article that works.

Steve,
                I'm not quite sure I understand why you want to pick apart my post in a critical way,that is not helpful.
                I am looking for this particular 5-wire SH775 (or equivalent)regulator and a bit of encouraging feedback is what I was hoping for.
                I would appreciate it if you would be a bit more helpful with your feedback.
                I will locate one of these either way,I can locate,purchase and test it.I must have assumed the wrong way that many of the members have done this improvement over their stock unit and might have access to them or have an extra they would sell.
                Thanks,Bill
                Last edited by grcamna2; 07-24-2019, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Member 'mista M'(solid dude and a good person to know)who helped me when I was new to the forum and had questions helped me find a long list of different 5-wire regulator/rectifiers from many different brands and model bikes that will work on the GS bikes.They don't all say SH775 on them but are compatible and will do the same job as the SH775.

Comment

They are NOT compatible as they are Shunt style much like Suzuki's OEM; there are only two known Series type RRs (Compufire and the Shindengen SH-775) and they are both very expensive.

Also, a bit thin skinned? His answer was very honest, straight forward, and complete with what he has said. Many of us have done the upgrades but no one just keeps them sitting around once it's done as there's no need.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I think I understand.

I want to be sure to have a spare,not the most common part to have on the shelf in most places.I like taking long,multiple day rides, it would sure be a pain if I didn't have a spare.
                      Last edited by grcamna2; 07-24-2019, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I think I understand.

I want to be sure to have a spare,not the most common part to have on the shelf in most places.I like taking long,multiple day rides, it would sure be a pain if I didn't have a spare.
                        Once you have an SH-775 you'll probably never use the spare one you buy.
                        I have a spare one, just in case. It's been sitting on the shelf for a few years now. I'm glad it's there, and I will eventually use it on the other bike, but probably never as a replacement for the one I'm currently using.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks Dave

Comment

The two cheapest SH775s I see on Ebay right now:

The second doesn't have a pic of the markings so no guarantee it's a genuine SH775. I've also seen what looks like new SH775s for $100.
                            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                              The two cheapest SH775s I see on Ebay right now:

The second doesn't have a pic of the markings so no guarantee it's a genuine SH775. I've also seen what looks like new SH775s for $100.
                              Hi Jordan,
                              I spoke with the seller on the second one,he said he didn't see any markings.. I wish I had seen that first one you linked, Wow looks good !
                              I found a genuine one yesterday for 45.00 shipped.
                              I am going to test the one I have installed in my GS;the bike is not charging(discharging)at idle and only getting 13.5 at rpm.

Comment

Working...
                              X