modernizing lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

modernizing lights

is there white bulbs for my bike i can order? i dont want ones that blind people but itd be nicer to have a clearer view.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Yes there are more modern lights (specifically LED) but you will have to be more specific about what you want (e.g. headlamp , tail light, directionals etc)

Some are plug and play and other require some mods depending upon which you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Yes there are more modern lights (specifically LED) but you will have to be more specific about what you want (e.g. headlamp , tail light, directionals etc)

Some are plug and play and other require some mods depending upon which you are talking about.

im talking about my headlamp and is there a high and low beam pack or just one.

with my taillights and rear indicators i want to get a taillight with the indicators inside the taillight so it cleans the bikes look up a bit, and id shorten the length of the bar for the front indicators
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
        im talking about my headlamp and is there a high and low beam pack or just one.

with my taillights and rear indicators i want to get a taillight with the indicators inside the taillight so it cleans the bikes look up a bit, and id shorten the length of the bar for the front indicators
        Sound like you are asking about styling modernization not LED conversions.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Sound like you are asking about styling modernization not LED conversions.
          no i still want the normal headlamp just with an LED but i do have plans for the rest, just now i was looking for an led bulb for the headlamp.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Search through the archives - there are lots of threads for lights like the Truck-lite and others that will work with these bikes but may require a different sized bucket
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Lots about the Trucklite (@$150) brand and others whole headlamp direct replacements in this thread. IF you’ve a 7” bucket, and IF you’ve upgraded your RR to a series type like the SH775 to handle the lower draw of an LED, the Trucklite is a great improvement over stock. So glad I got one. I’ve not read any reports on how any of the cheaper (@50) Trucklight knockoffs (some with a fancy varying aiming beam) stack up.

here’s one thread

IIRC Grimly has used some LED bulbs w/ the stock housing/lens with success. As Scott said, lots of threads here about LED lights. When you search, do advanced, search titles only to get any meaningful results.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

For a headlight, there are several LED replacement "bulbs", but many (most?) of them won't fit in a motorcycle headlight bucket, especially one as small as on your L. There is also no direct replacement, as the L bikes have a strange size headlight that is not used anywhere in the automotive world.

Many of us have installed a TruckLite 27270C light, but it will require a different headlight bucket and mounting arms. The difference in light output is quite phenomenal. Most of the guys that have considered the TruckLite have balked at the price (about $150, plus the bucket and arms), but after installation, they have all said pretty much the same thing, "I don't know why I waited so long to do this".

Regarding the rest of your lights: an LED tail/brake light is a good idea, but it's a bit difficult to find a replacement "bulb" that will work in the stock light housing. An even better idea is to replace the whole light with an aftermarket light. You have an advantage with your L in that it simply bolts to a bracket and does not have to match up with any body lines, so just about any aftermarket light would work.

As far as turn signals go: do you want to "look good" or "be seen"? Incorporating your rear signals into the brake light housing may look cool, but nobody will be able to see them. Same thing with the front. Installing shorter stalks will put the signals closer to the headlight, which will overpower the signals and you simply won't see them.

Then you have to consider that if you install LED turn signals, you will have to change the flasher unit, too.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                  is there white bulbs for my bike i can order? i dont want ones that blind people but itd be nicer to have a clearer view.
                  Look at some of these. http://www.superlumination.com/
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I upgraded my '79 Honda headlight at Xenon Depot, plug and play, great improvement.
                    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Working...
                    X