How long sitting can a battery start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long sitting can a battery start?

Your bike, whatever make/model, starts easily with only a few cranks or less. How long have you left it, in the bike, without charging or starting, and it still starts?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    Your bike, whatever make/model, starts easily with only a few cranks or less. How long have you left it, in the bike, without charging or starting, and it still starts?
    Here's another way of looking at it. As a general rule a lead acid battery will lose 1% of it's energy per day while it's sitting without a charge on it. For longest life and best performance you want to keep it charged at or above 80% of it's capacity. Following those general rules, you want to have at least a bit of charge put back into the battery no longer than three weeks since it was last charged. A trickle charger with automatic controller can be had for $20 or less, hooking it up every couple weeks is a no brainier.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Battery self discharge is high enough that startup every 2-4 weeks without a charger.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
        A trickle charger with automatic controller can be had for $20 or less, hooking it up every couple weeks is a no brainier.
        Yeah, got a great DieHard charger/maintainer, and it was a joy to use in a private house with attached garage. Now with apartment life, it requires a trip down the elevator with two huge extension cords, so it's become a chore to keep up with a two week schedule. And yes, I realize that must sound very wimpy to you, Mr. Kerouac.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        Battery self discharge is high enough that startup every 2-4 weeks without a charger.
        I kept a 2 - 2-1/2 week schedule because I found that shortly after that the Sportster wouldn't start ("anti-theft" system drain). And before her carbs were cleaned this summer, after 2 weeks Suzi would crank just fine, but require a lot of cranking before starting.

Since her starter (or relay) has died 1 month ago, Suzi's battery resides in my living room, where I hook up the charger at least once or twice a week. The thing that surprises me is that it only takes one or two minutes to go from charge to maintain.

Were I to replace the starter or relay myself, would it require any special tools?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

You've mentioned your situation a few times and here's one more thing to offer if it hasn't been already. A solar battery maintainer might be something to consider since you could run the cord between the door and frame somewhere. If the battery is already out of the Zook then it's not an issue until things warm up and it could be left on the Sporty since it draws all the time.

As to the starter relay, it's a couple of bolts or nuts on a stud on my bike, don't remember which.

You working these days? If not just take your pick of bikes and head down this way for the cold months. We just finished a full week of 60+ degree days and it's gotten "chilly" with temps in the mid 40's the last two days. You can live on potato chips, chocolate kisses and magic turkey slices just as miserably here as you could there and hit the Twisties comfortably at LEAST once a week.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Wrench ing out the starter might take 3 tools, if you have to pop the carbs off
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

how long is a piece of string?
              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Bogus question, no way to answer without knowing how many times it's been broke.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                  how long is a piece of string?
                  Best answer so far.

Comment

Working...
                  X