New stator, what brand to buy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New stator, what brand to buy ?

Looking at buying several new stators for my GS1000 bikes.

Rick's and Electrosport stators are pretty sturdy i think,
    have not seen much issues with those.

With brands like Celox and Caltric going for less than half
    Rick's and Electrosport stators are going for ...
    does anyone have experience with these cheaper stators ?
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Does it have to be new? There are several newer model bikes you can get a good one off for peanuts think it's the V strom and a couple of models of Kawasaki... Bwringer knows.

I think someone here rewinds them too, maybe Steve.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

No, it does not have to be new though i like to mount new stuff

As long as the copper windings look good, i would be inclined to
      trust a 2nd hand one.

The Vstrom 650 had an issue with their stators, with (at least in The Netherlands)
      a recall from Suzuki ... may be the reason they are so cheap ?

I would not be surprised if this is one of those "you get what you pay for"
      questions, cheaper stators using cheaper copper windings and insulation ?

Thought to ask anyways
      Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

Comment

I installed a caltric stator in June of last year, so far its been performing fine. Their gasket is holding fine too.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          I think someone here rewinds them too, maybe Steve.
          It has been MANY years, and I didn't do the rewinding myself. There was a guy I had found that did some nice work, but he decided to fold up his business while he had a bunch of my cores. After a bit of legal-type verbiage, he finally relinquished most of them, and I haven't heard from him since then.

The good news is that now it's possible to get brand new stators for about half the price.

You ask for experience? I had Caltric stators in my wife's bike and my bike for several years. No problems, but I decided to put new stators in before our intended ride in 2018, so I got ElectroSport stators for all three bikes. The install in my son's 1000G went with no problems and output was a bit better than whatever was in there. When I went to install it in my bike, I found that it was thinner than the Caltric. I had to use shorter bolts to hold the stator to the cover. Output seemed to be a bit less than the Caltric. Enough less that I am going to re-install a Caltric.

My suggestion is Caltric.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I hate to recommend something and find it later failed.

I went with Ricks and have had no issues.
            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

I’ve only used caltric stators. A caltric stator and a used SH775 is a winning combo in my book. I’ve put them in my former GS’ and they weren’t touched again after installation.
              Last edited by mattd1205; 01-16-2020, 02:11 AM.
              1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
              1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

Comment

Thanks guys !

Surprised to not hear any negative experiences, but good to hear.
                I will combine the new stators with a SH775, so that should help longevity.
                One will be hooked up to a Compu-Fire i have bought couple of years ago,
                will be interesting to see how they hold up.

Should anyone have experiences please keep them coming, i will not
                make the decision and buy right away.
                Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

Comment

The series reg-recs are far kinder to stators, so a good used stator will last a long, long time. Having said that, the price of new ones has come down a lot anyway.
                  I'm still running a stator that was slightly toasted by the last of the shunt R-Rs, just to see how much longer it would last with a series R-R.
                  I keep thinking about tearing it out and replacing, but it's continuing to soldier on and the voltage shows no signs of doing anything untoward.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                    Thanks guys !

Surprised to not hear any negative experiences, but good to hear.
                    I will combine the new stators with a SH775, so that should help longevity.
                    One will be hooked up to a Compu-Fire i have bought couple of years ago,
                    will be interesting to see how they hold up.

Should anyone have experiences please keep them coming, i will not
                    make the decision and buy right away.
                    I'm going on 10 years with my CompuFire, no problems to date. The CompuFire has well paid for itself plus some.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                    X