Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need HELP on my 1978 gs500e 4cyl...

Ok,
    so i bought my gs500e 1978 this fall. It was supposed to be a cafe racer but the owner did not wanna cut the frame when he realised how good the bike was. So i bought it semi torned down and with a bit of wire hell.... Need help to recognize a few items as well as where the wires go. Take a look at the pics.

What is this little fusebox? Where to bolt it on, and is there a wire that should go in to it?
    DEA69BE5-B8A8-4517-8896-A2A18896CD1D by Kenneth H, on Flickr

Next one, these 3 wires(black with white stripe) are they to be attached to that little box behind in the picture? and what is that little box?
    E556FB0C-A54B-488E-BC95-673DF1F06A6E by Kenneth H, on Flickr

Now this is the rectifier right? The black wire coming out of it, you can see it on the picture, i figure that is to be connected to ground?
    0FF9699F-11F9-40D1-BF85-0E4E60F7CC81 by Kenneth H, on Flickr

Now what is this thing?? See next two pictures. Where should it be located?
    734E77DF-ACF9-4A6F-BBC8-B3D434F59F98 by Kenneth H, on Flickr

C527285C-144D-4A86-A125-A4A0D5810F8A by Kenneth H, on Flickr

You'd do well to follow this link and download a manual and wiring diagram.

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Kenny, are you using a parts diagram for reference?

Shop online for OEM Electrical parts that fit your 1978 Suzuki GS550E, search all our OEM Parts or call at 1503-684-6600

I'm sure Robinsons Foundry in the UK, or CMSL might have diagrams for European models, the one above is my local dealer in the States

I haven't worked on a 550 in a long time, but I can offer a few bits of knowledge

1. The black/white wires are grounds. The ring ends go under the mounting screws of the solenoid and other pieces, as the electrical plate is isolated
      2. The rectifier does not appear to be the correct one. it should have a single central bolt that connects to the mount that is perpendictular to the plate
      3. I have zero idea what that thing with the 2 prongs is.
      4. I'm sure you will clean all of those connections, and all of the other connections, before attaching it to the battery
      Last edited by Big T; 01-26-2020, 11:27 PM.
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        Kenny, are you using a parts diagram for reference?

Shop online for OEM Electrical parts that fit your 1978 Suzuki GS550E, search all our OEM Parts or call at 1503-684-6600

I'm sure Robinsons Foundry in the UK, or CMSL might have diagrams for European models, the one above is my local dealer in the States

I haven't worked on a 550 in a long time, but I can offer a few bits of knowledge

1. The black/white wires are grounds. The ring ends go under the mounting screws of the solenoid and other pieces, as the electrical plate is isolated
        2. The rectifier does not appear to be the correct one. it should have a single central bolt that connects to the mount that is perpendictular to the plate
        3. I have zero idea what that thing with the 2 prongs is.
        4. I'm sure you will clean all of those connections, and all of the other connections, before attaching it to the battery
        Thanks. I know the rectifier is an aftermarket one and might not be as easy to connect to the chassi. But the one black wire from it should be Ground right? It seems that no one knows what that little box with 2 connections are. I suspect it might have been dropped in the miscellanious box by a mistake before it and bike got shipped to me. And yes i will clean up the connections before i do anything with it. This is the stuff i dread doing anything with, wires...

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
          You'd do well to follow this link and download a manual and wiring diagram.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
          thanx, i will try. Sadly i am not good at anything when it comes to wiring.

Comment

I bought one of these, and found it very useful.

Full colour and laminated A3 sized (16.5 inch x 11.7 inch) for Suzuki GS750 1976 - 81 UK & USA models
            1980 GS550ET

Comment

Working...
            X