1982 GS750E Timing Mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS750E Timing Mark

I installed a Dynatek DS3-2 ignition on my '82 GS750E. I removed stock electronic ignition/ignitor, replaced coils with Dyna DC1-1 and made coil relay mod due to low voltage at the coils, weak spark and lethargic performance at increased RPM. Basically, I just wanted to make every improvement possible.

While trying to do static timing I noticed that the ignition plate was fully rotated clockwise when properly set (light came on when advance was fully rotated). The timing mark I was using is a triangle-shaped piece cast into the case just below and to the left of the top mounting hole for the plate (see red piece in pic). Sorry, the pic appears to be rotated CC 90 degrees, the red triangle is on top, not the left side.

I contacted Dynatek support (they rock) and expressed my concern about the plate being rotated so far. They advised that I should have a brass timing plate with timing mark on it, but there was no plate on my bike. In the Partzilla diagram there is no plate mentioned: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/su...gnal-generator

So my question is this: is there supposed to be a timing plate on this bike? I found one on eBay and ordered it today, but the timing mark appears to be in about the same position as the triangle in the casting of my bike. Any suggestions on what I am missing here?

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Your plate looks much different than my 650 setup....see pic
    I'd backup and reinstall the Suzuki signal generator plate...then rotate crankshaft till cylinder 1 is at TDC (using big nut).
    Then review the the mark on case.
    Years ago there was a guy on here who got a dyna s where the little dyna coil had been installed on wrong side of dyna mounting plate causing the timing to be way off.

image.jpg
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks Tom. That would be a valid reference point, good idea!

Comment

Working...
      X