2 regulators installed? Why me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by open1mind View Post
    Thats what the entire vfr community is using...
    The FH020AA- recommended by this guy as part of a kit he sells by the dozens to vfr guys- who seem to have almost as much trouble as GS folks with charging.

Here's the part where I learn that it is much better than stock but not as good as the SH775 in spite of what roadster recommends. (PS- their diagram does not integrate the SPG, but based upon your coaching I was going to do that anyway!)
    thanks
    I tested and compared the FH20 (SHUNT) against the Compufire (Series) back in 2010 (IIRC) and I know who Roadster cycle is. Form and fit the SH-775 is virtually identical to FH20, so unless you are reving to 15K RPM there is no reason for the MOSFET shunt design.

What wires got smoked? VAC Stator wires or Harness Red/Black wires?

I'm assuming the connectors are fried becuase of normal operating conditions that will continue if not get worse from the FH20.

If you clean up the connections without changing stator or R/R does it still charge?

Comment

I would not trust this roadstercycle guy any further than I could throw him.

he is charging over $200 for a SH847 series R/R and doesn't even mention teh SH775 also series R/R and much cheaper.

He goes on to persuade people to use a MOSFET Series R/R because teh series R/R are too expensive.

he must have a $hit pipe of obsolete FH02's he wants to dump so he doesn't bring up the SH775.

Great guy; lying by omission while smiling to your face!!

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        I would not trust this roadstercycle guy any further than I could throw him.

he is charging over $200 for a SH847 series R/R and doesn't even mention teh SH775 also series R/R and much cheaper.

He goes on to persuade people to use a MOSFET Series R/R because teh series R/R are too expensive.

he must have a $hit pipe of obsolete FH02's he wants to dump so he doesn't bring up the SH775.

Great guy; lying by omission while smiling to your face!!
        You're doing him a disservice - he's got the series SH847 up front and central on the opening page.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          You're doing him a disservice - he's got the series SH847 up front and central on the opening page.
          Yea and he says to buy the mosfet because tgd sh is to expensive

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            I tested and compared the FH20 (SHUNT) against the Compufire (Series) back in 2010 (IIRC) and I know who Roadster cycle is. Form and fit the SH-775 is virtually identical to FH20, so unless you are reving to 15K RPM there is no reason for the MOSFET shunt design.

What wires got smoked? VAC Stator wires or Harness Red/Black wires?

I'm assuming the connectors are fried becuase of normal operating conditions that will continue if not get worse from the FH20.

If you clean up the connections without changing stator or R/R does it still charge?
            I am waiting for a few supplies before I can reroute/reconnect everything and see what is happening with the existing (stock) RR. Needless to say those connectors in the pics are head for the trash, not for cleaning.

I might find that the problem was those two connections, especially the pink one at the Solenoid. I have found a supplier to replace that pretty unique connector, and the other side of it which is at the top of the solenoid assembly. I may try to do something more custom depending upon what else I troubleshoot. Again, since I have torn apart, like my GS, I will replace the RR regardless- but it would be good to know where the problem was.
            1979 GS 1000e
            1967 Triumph Bonneville
            1986 Honda VFR 750
            2014 Indian Vintage
            2015 KLR 650
            2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
            2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
            2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
            And so on...

sigpic

Comment

Working...