battery damaged by starter failure??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
    Yep, still looking, both my 3 bank on-board charger & my newest charger in the garage turns completely off when batt. is completely charged. None of the "Tenders I've researched ever turn completely off. Sorry, I don't know what a Lidl charger is.
    I think he means "Lidl" the supermarket. They sell random tools from time to time :-D
    Mine was a cheap one from "Aldi" (supermarket). I think it cost me like 15 euro's.... Guess I should've put down a bit more money for a decent one

Comment

Originally posted by . . . . . . . .
      New battery, charge it BEFORE you install it, at no more than 10% of it's capacity.
      Capacity . . . voltage? cold cranking amp? amp hours? 48 month guarantee?

Typical battery we use, (YB14L-A2 1980 and after), are rated at 14 AmpHour. And is suggested to not use a charger rated any more than 1.5 amps.
      A lot of the maintainer chargers are 1.25 amp, some are 1.0 amp, some are 3/4th amp.
      And a lot of the little inexpensive chargers are similar rating.
      How long to leave it on is yet another question.

Typical automotive chargers are 6 amp or 12 amp.
      Now that doesnt mean "it charges at 12 amps", that means if the battery voltage is low enough that charger can put out that much. WHen the battery is charged up to full voltage the charger will be putting out much less but still too much when distribute that over the smaller area of the smaller batterys plates.
      So dont use that sort of charger on your little m/c battery.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Exactly why I want chargers, (maintainers), that turn themselves completely off when batt. is fully charged. Technology is there, & I want to use it. I just not finding it in a maintainer.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I have my charger hooked up to a cheap Lidl timer clock.
          Set it to 24 hours and it will be powered off.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
            I have my charger hooked up to a cheap Lidl timer clock.
            Set it to 24 hours and it will be powered off.
            That's the other way to do it. I have a raft of stand-by old cellphones that are hooked up to a single multi-way electrical extension board that comes on once a day for 30 minutes and keeps their batteries topped up.
            Been working well for years.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Ok,
              it took a while,
              but I've changed the battery a few weeks ago and cleaned all the electrical contacts.

It seems that, indeed, the battery had given up on life while I was searching for a new starter. Probably because the charger was on it for to long.

Here some measurements of the battery now:
              key off: 12,84V
              key-on: 12, 37V
              idle: 13,50V
              2500rpm: 14,50V
              5000rpm: 14,57V
              key off again: 13,33V

I've not had the charger on it once since it got the new battery. I will probably use it only for winter storage, but WITH a timer clock this time...

Thx for the advice!

Comment

Working...
              X