Has anyone tried the M-Unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried the M-Unit?

Hello, i have a 82 GS1100GLZ that im currently thinking about rewiring, but ive heard about this german device called an M-Unit that kinda acts like simplifier. I wasnt sure if anyone had used this before and liked it. And if anyone has, was it worth it? Or would it be easier for me to just buy new relays and other OEM electrics? Any feedback is much appreciated.

Originally posted by FlordiaMan View Post
    Hello, i have a 82 GS1100GLZ that im currently thinking about rewiring, but ive heard about this german device called an M-Unit that kinda acts like simplifier. I wasnt sure if anyone had used this before and liked it. And if anyone has, was it worth it? Or would it be easier for me to just buy new relays and other OEM electrics? Any feedback is much appreciated.
    Since you’re new to bikes (and young), probably be easier to get it back to stock wiring setup. Used wiring harnesses are usually easy to find - better than dealing with PO’s creativity
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

To answer your question, yes, a few here have tried the M-Unit. There have been mixed results.

The M-Unit comes in a couple different 'flavors' which might make a difference on which one to choose, but Tom is right, it's best to get it running first, just to make sure that it does, in fact, WORK. Your own patch-up on the wiring does not have to be pristine, as long as it is electrically sound. I don't know how adapting an M-Unit to the bike would make wiring it any easier, as there have been considerable challenges in every story I have seen here.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So the bike works, it runs great, just has a few oil leaks that im tryna patch and just some TLC that needs to be done. One of the only major things that needs to be fixed is the wiring harness. It works but the current one is ugly and a mess from all the other extras that other people have spliced in. Im tryna make my bike look clean and i want the wire harness to look super clean. I was wondering then if there are any sort of upgrades i can put into the wiring harness. The current fuse box is a little old and missing its cover.

Comment

Working...
        X