Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Pouch" needed to protect connectors after fairing removal

Hello,

I removed the fairing on my 1982 GS1100GK. Some of the electrical connectors are now out in the open, which exposes them to the elements and it does not look good.

At least same of the cables are not long enough to hide them in the headlight shell, so I am looking for a black plastic pouch to hide the cables in.

I checked some OEM part fiches but was not able to find a pouch.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.

A vinyl drawstring bag, such as is made for camera lenses would be just the thing. Make sure it can't fill up with water.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Confess I'm not familiar with your fairing but on a windjammer, getting all the connectors in a single spot was problematic. Where any connector cluster defintely is vulnerable I will go with:

CHEAP garden hose(no fabric), pvc hose, - all more useful when shaped with a heat gun and shaped over a mold...shrink tube in large sizes and only heated at the ends...good high quality electrical tape to seal one end..(dollar store electrical tape is garbage-3M is generally very good)
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-22-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Without a picture it is hard to envision exactly what you are talking about, but you can get 1" shrink tubing (or larger depending upon the size needed)and slide it over a connector and it will do a pretty good job of protecting an connector.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          A vinyl drawstring bag, such as is made for camera lenses would be just the thing. Make sure it can't fill up with water.
          That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
          Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I ended up using an old Suzuki motorcycle tool bag/pouch and zip-tied it around the cables and connectors to prevent water and dust from entering.

Comment

Working...
            X