Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SH775 negative to SPG or directly to negative post on battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SH775 negative to SPG or directly to negative post on battery?

Im in the process of tidying up my grounds on my ‘78 GS750. I currently have the negative output of my SH775 going to the negative post of the battery. I’m considering moving that wire to the ground point on the starter solenoid. All of my connections there are very clean and have low resistance. Would it still be best practice to have it directly connected to the Negative side of the battery?

thanks
    Matt
    1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
    1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

There may be some theoretical difference in different grounding schemes but in the real world it doesnt matter
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      There may be some theoretical difference in different grounding schemes but in the real world it doesnt matter
      thank you Nessism! I was going by your infographic regarding the installation of the SH775 so I try to follow your write ups to a “T”.

thanks again
      Matt
      1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
      1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

Comment

I agree on the "in the real world it doesn't matter" theory.

While we are (temporarily) visiting the real world, I like to keep the number of wires at the battery to a minimum, so I tend to gather similar wires (all your ground wires) to a location away from the battery, then run a wire of adequate size to the battery.

On my bikes, there are only two wires at each battery terminal. There is the large ground wire that goes to the back of the engine block and the one that goes to the SPG. On the positive terminal, there is the large one that goes to the starter solenoid. At the other end of that wire (at the solenoid) have the power lead to the fuse box. If you ever have to remove the battery, it is MUCH easier to find just three wires when you put it back in.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I agree on the "in the real world it doesn't matter" theory.

While we are (temporarily) visiting the real world, I like to keep the number of wires at the battery to a minimum, so I tend to gather similar wires (all your ground wires) to a location away from the battery, then run a wire of adequate size to the battery.

On my bikes, there are only two wires at each battery terminal. There is the large ground wire that goes to the back of the engine block and the one that goes to the SPG. On the positive terminal, there is the large one that goes to the starter solenoid. At the other end of that wire (at the solenoid) have the power lead to the fuse box. If you ever have to remove the battery, it is MUCH easier to find just three wires when you put it back in.

perfect! I just moved it over and it’s so much easier dropping the battery in when I don’t have to attach 4 ground terminals to the negative post.

thanks
          Matt
          1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:

Comment

I like to think of the R/R as a small power station that runs the bike.
            It is set up to deliver 14 Volts to the ignition, lights and so on.
            If however you have roundabout return currents going from lights to frame to battery negative and only then to the R/R ground there is a high probability that the R/R is not seeing the true system voltage but something above it due to the resistive losses in the ground returns.
            Collecting the returns to a single point addresses this to some degree.
            The R/R secondary function is to recharge the battery and again if there is a multi leg route between both, the R/R will not have a true measure of the battery voltage and give up charging too early.
            My set up is like Steve's. I have an extra wire on each terminal for the permanently wired charging plug the lives behind a side cover.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
              My set up is like Steve's. I have an extra wire on each terminal for the permanently wired charging plug the lives behind a side cover.
              My permanently-wired charging plug is wired to the solenoid terminal for positive and the SPG for negative. Works just as well.

Also, if your "charging plug" is near the front of the seat, it works well to power heated clothing. Does not matter that it's not switched, as it's difficult to leave the clothing attached to the plug when you are not on the bike.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                My permanently-wired charging plug is wired to the solenoid terminal for positive and the SPG for negative. Works just as well.

Also, if your "charging plug" is near the front of the seat, it works well to power heated clothing. Does not matter that it's not switched, as it's difficult to leave the clothing attached to the plug when you are not on the bike.

Clever. That I am gong to do. Anything to make life easier. I'm still on lead/acid so level checks are a pain.
                Difficult to leave clothing yes but there is surely a way within the scope of my genius. There always is
                Rarely gets cold here anyway.
                Both times I came off the bike was near the end of three hour rides in cold and wet.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

On my 1000 advice from this very helpful forum guided me through doing the SPG, checking the connections, installing a Compufire r/r, relays on circuits to unload the switches, and a Motobatt battery ( which has four terminals not two ). So my voltage readings indicate that we have happy volts . Oh right I installed on the battery the leads from my Battery Tender ( the SAE plug set ) this allows the easy voltage readings and a power supply.
                  Last edited by mustangflyr; 07-31-2020, 08:26 AM.
                  1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by mustangflyr View Post
                    On my 1000 advice from this very helpful forum guided me through doing the SPG.
                    Handy link here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...tion-gs1100-ex

Bravo chaps - great help all around.

Comment

Working...
                    X