Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sticky, FAQ, article for Dynatek replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sticky, FAQ, article for Dynatek replacement?

1982 GS1100E which I've owned for maybe 10-12 years.

Suspecting ignition is going. Gets sputtery after about 45 minutes of riding, then fine again when she cools off. Already replaced the coils with some cheapies and no change. Open to advice if you have ideas - others have suggested carb boots and spark plug caps.

Is there a sticky, FAQ, or article someone can point me to about changing over to a Dynatek unit? Understand it's either the expensive digitally-controlled ignition advance for $$$s or change over to a mechanical advance unit for this year bike. Would like more details. Thanks for the pointer.

Not sure there is an earlier model with a mechanical advance that fits the 1100 16v bikes... The Dyna2000 is not complicated to install but there isn't a sticky here I'm aware of.
    I'd run it through a switched relay (and the coils) to make sure they are getting 12v.

Have you made sure the gas cap vent is clear? Next time it starts sputtering stop and remove the gas cap & listen to see if it "sucks" air in as soon as you do so. You might also experiment with prime on the petcock (perhaps the vacuum line is collapsing when it gets hot & starving it of fuel).
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The factory manual found on BikeCliff's website shows the 1980 GS1100E with the Gen 2 (I call it) ignition, or in other words you could source a mechanical advance and timing plate from that year and the Dyna S 'should' work. Best bet is to get a hold of Dyntek and check for sure if they have one for the 1980 model. I am in the same predicament with my 1982 GS 850 with the transistorized ignition. Runs great cold, warms up and 2 cylinders quit, or stop advancing, rather frightening when passing 2 tractor trailers going up a hill with a jackass car driver behind you and concrete barriers to the left!

Comment

Interesting, having gone through the manual from the website I do not see any change in the ignition from 1980 to 82 on the GS1100E so you may just have to buy the Dyna or replacement ignition of your choice without the worry of trying to find the advance components. Take the cover off and have a look.

Comment

Just went to Babbitts : https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oem...gnal-generator. Looks like the advance is there, a good thing being it is damn expensive. Your only way seems to be either find used parts or switch to a different ignition as the igniter is no longer available, it would be stupid expensive as the one for my 850 was listed at $707!!!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            Not sure there is an earlier model with a mechanical advance that fits the 1100 16v bikes... The Dyna2000 is not complicated to install but there isn't a sticky here I'm aware of.
            I'd run it through a switched relay (and the coils) to make sure they are getting 12v.

Have you made sure the gas cap vent is clear? Next time it starts sputtering stop and remove the gas cap & listen to see if it "sucks" air in as soon as you do so. You might also experiment with prime on the petcock (perhaps the vacuum line is collapsing when it gets hot & starving it of fuel).
            Thanks for the reply, Salty. Still as helpful as I remember when I used to hang out here a decade ago.

Great suggestion on the fuel tank vent. I'll definitely check that one out.

Originally posted by pvasc View Post
            The factory manual found on BikeCliff's website shows the 1980 GS1100E with the Gen 2 (I call it) ignition, or in other words you could source a mechanical advance and timing plate from that year and the Dyna S 'should' work. Best bet is to get a hold of Dyntek and check for sure if they have one for the 1980 model. I am in the same predicament with my 1982 GS 850 with the transistorized ignition. Runs great cold, warms up and 2 cylinders quit, or stop advancing, rather frightening when passing 2 tractor trailers going up a hill with a jackass car driver behind you and concrete barriers to the left!
            Yeah, I saw your other thread, which jogged long-dormant brain cells. I was getting more than one Dynatek unit when looking it up. Some parts places say the DS3-2 (less than $200) will work, but others point to a much more expensive unit (more than $400) which I wasn't so anxious to buy without knowing that would fix it. I do recall some bikes need a fancy unit with digitally controlled spark advance and others can be converted to use a mechanical advance - which is why I was hoping there was a conversion FAQ somewhere and I wouldn't annoy everybody asking how to do it.

TBH, I haven't even opened up the timer cover to find out if I have a mechanical advance or not. Just too many projects going this summer, but want to put this old 1100E back on the road.

Have you verified that you do NOT have a mechanical advance on your 850?

Comment

Originally posted by AJ88V View Post
              Thanks for the reply, Salty. Still as helpful as I remember when I used to hang out here a decade ago.

Great suggestion on the fuel tank vent. I'll definitely check that one out.

Yeah, I saw your other thread, which jogged long-dormant brain cells. I was getting more than one Dynatek unit when looking it up. Some parts places say the DS3-2 (less than $200) will work, but others point to a much more expensive unit (more than $400) which I wasn't so anxious to buy without knowing that would fix it. I do recall some bikes need a fancy unit with digitally controlled spark advance and others can be converted to use a mechanical advance - which is why I was hoping there was a conversion FAQ somewhere and I wouldn't annoy everybody asking how to do it.

TBH, I haven't even opened up the timer cover to find out if I have a mechanical advance or not. Just too many projects going this summer, but want to put this old 1100E back on the road.

Have you verified that you do NOT have a mechanical advance on your 850?
              Well what happened is I brought it to the shop for carb work, and it still didn’t solve the problem so it has to be ignition. The mechanic opened it up and said it did not resemble anything in the manual (factory) so I am pretty sure using Babbitt parts fiche that it is the transistorized ignition and the box does the advance. I bought the bike in 1991 with 1900 miles on it. So I sourced the parts and am waiting the fix. I could do it but easier for them to do it, the bike is there. But no I have not verified with my own eyes...yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pvasc View Post
                Well what happened is I brought it to the shop for carb work, and it still didn’t solve the problem so it has to be ignition. The mechanic opened it up and said it did not resemble anything in the manual (factory) so I am pretty sure using Babbitt parts fiche that it is the transistorized ignition and the box does the advance. I bought the bike in 1991 with 1900 miles on it. So I sourced the parts and am waiting the fix. I could do it but easier for them to do it, the bike is there. But no I have not verified with my own eyes...yet.
                I did ask the mechanic yesterday, my 850 has the fully transistorized ignition without mechanical advance.

Comment

Working...
                X