Series regulator/rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Series regulator/rectifier

Hi, I have been looking for a series regulator that is rated at a minimum of 40 amp if anyone knows the model could you let me know.
    i know Jim a while back did a list ( I think) but I cannot find it.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

The Shindengen SH-847 is the new kid on the block. 50A capable.

Heyehe... Shindengen have finally upgraded their website from Window 98.

It's been fitted to V-Stroms for a few years now.
    Buy Suzuki 32800-31J00 - RECTIFIER. This OEM part is guaranteed by Suzuki's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com
    Last edited by Grimly; 08-15-2020, 07:30 PM.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Jim was a compufire guy.

Since the SH775 hit the market it's been the go-to unit here on GSR. Not sure how much amperage it can handle but it's more than enough for a GS bike. The SH847 is rated for even higher current but they are more expensive.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
        Hi, I have been looking for a series regulator that is rated at a minimum of 40 amp ...
        What are you running that you need 40 amps? Bike? Charging system? ???

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        The Shindengen SH-847 is the new kid on the block. 50A capable.
        And it's a fair bit bigger than the SH775, too.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Since the SH775 hit the market it's been the go-to unit here on GSR. Not sure how much amperage it can handle but it's more than enough for a GS bike. The SH847 is rated for even higher current but they are more expensive.
        Haven't checked the prices, but I have seen a few on eBay.

The 775 is rated at 35 amps, the 847 is rated at 50 amps. As I recall, the max output on a GS is about 35 amps, so the 775 is near-perfect.

Fastbysuzuki, once again, what is your application? If you are hoping to put on a 40+ amp regulator because you have added more lights and/or accessories, it won't work. The R/R does not make power, it only controls what the stator generates. As mentioned, the GS stators are only capable of about 25 amps.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi all, thanks for the reply's I am thinking about buying a Honda vfr800 having read quite a bit they seem to have rectifier problems I thought I would research for a series rectifier I belive the vfr is rated around 40 amp
          The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
          1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
          past bikes. RF900
          TL1000s
          Hayabusa
          gsx 750f x2
          197cc Francis Barnett
          various British nails

Comment

Hi everyone, I put a SH847 on my bike, it is probably overkill for a GS but might be good for the VFR. The 847 has a huge footprint and might be difficult to mount on a bike with a air box. I put mine under the seat where the air box would normally go. On the plus side I get a constant charge of 14.3 volts with the headlights on and 14.5 volts with them off , even at idle, don't know if the Sh775 does the same thing. I bought mine at roadster cycle , the owner seems to know his stuff. They call the SH847 the stator saver because you can run it with almost no load ( race bikes) . I bought it because I was running LEDs but like I said probably overkill.
            1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

The Compu-Fire in my signature line is 40A. It is generally more expensive but also smaller than a lot of Series R/R's. It has been in the bike 9 very close to 10 trouble free years.
              Last edited by OldVet66; 08-17-2020, 11:32 AM.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
              X