Sh775 r/r on gs425

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sh775 r/r on gs425

Looking to replace my r/r on my gs425. The 425 does not have a fuse box like most 4 cyl Gs, but 1 main fuse. The way the r/r is wired now the + red line goes into the harness and I’m assuming back to the main fuse? Still learning electrical bit by bit. With the sh775 would I just wire the red + into red wire going into the harness or straight to the battery, or into a separate inline fuse? Read a different thread where someone wired into the harness then his battery didn’t charge, but when wired to the battery everything ran fine, but this was also on a gs550 I believe? Just wanted some clarification. Also ordered new alternator/battery connectors from eastern beaver to upgrade when I get the sh775. Any input appreciated thank you.
    Last edited by Hokano12; 08-21-2020, 01:23 AM.
    1979 GS425

The sh775 is a good upgrade. You will need plugs for your r/r. I would wire the input straight to your stator with new wire and conectors, (I solder almost everything with the joints staggered and double shrink tube). Run the output straight to your battery with a 30 amp fuse on the positive lead. I use 10 gauge marine grade wire. When I use ring conectors, I cut the plastic off, crimp and then tin it with solder. Don't forget to properly wrap up the unused wires, like the red one going to the harness. This will give you a simple bullet proof installation. Have you read the stator papers?
    1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply, I have read the stator papers and done the test from fault finding chart/owners manual and turns out my r/r that’s on my bike is due to fail soon. Going to upgrade to sh775 and wire it the way you said and see how it works.
      1979 GS425

Comment

Finally got around to doing this and the charging system is much healthier! Seeing 14v at around 3000-4000 rpm. Used the wires from eastern beaver website. Fits just perfect after removing old r/r, also had to cut off the old mounting brackets for them but all is well now!
        Attached Files
        1979 GS425

Comment

Working...
        X