Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charging problem on Honda FB 6 (sporty type GoldWing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging problem on Honda FB 6 (sporty type GoldWing)

I realize we are on a GS forum but knowing so many members have multiple rides I was hoping one or more might help me to help my riding buddy.

This is a fairly late model Honda FB6, as in attached image. Never had an issue, kept on battery tender. He went out for a ride & found after an hour or so battery stone dead bike won't run, start, electrics dead. Has determined there is zero charge getting to the battery. Once charged up to 12.9v bike runs but after a bit the battery voltage is much lower so he is running off the battery w/o support from the charging system.

I know how to do the full top to bottom test of my GS system but he says there is just a single wire coming from the alternator to the system and a ground wire so not like our gear. Apparently the R/R is internal on the alternator itself. He is competent enough to read up and or watch You Tube vid on the process but I am wondering if any of you GSers have dealt with this issue on a Wing or FB model or know of a good forum I can send him to. He is trying to get it done between helping his wife run a day care so pretty busy most of the time.

Any support or ideas greatly appreciated. Please stay safe & healthy.

DH, father to Roadkill.

Honda FB6.jpg
    Rides ROADKILL-1981 GS850G, very slowly these days.

Put a voltmeter on the single output terminal to see if it's actually working. If it is, you will have to check for a blown fuse. That Wing is a lot newer than mine, but I do believe there is either a fuse or a fusible link connected to the alternator output.

Yes, the alternator is greatly different than the stator, permanent magnet and R/R system that we have on our GSes. It is actually more like an automotive alternator, the only real difference is in the drive mechanism. Mine has paddles that fit into rubber bushings on the back of the engine, instead of a belt, like on a car. That paddle and bushing arrangement is a lot like the drive hub in the rear wheel of a GS.

If necessary, I can break out my manual for the electrical system on my Wing. It's only 410 pages, so it shouldn't take long to find the charging section. Yes, it's only the electrical system in that manual. The full service manual for the rest of the bike is close to 2000 pages.

You gotta enjoy the simplicity of a GS.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?259578-Charging-problem-on-Honda

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Put a voltmeter on the single output terminal to see if it's actually working. If it is, you will have to check for a blown fuse. That Wing is a lot newer than mine, but I do believe there is either a fuse or a fusible link connected to the alternator output.

Yes, the alternator is greatly different than the stator, permanent magnet and R/R system that we have on our GSes. It is actually more like an automotive alternator, the only real difference is in the drive mechanism. Mine has paddles that fit into rubber bushings on the back of the engine, instead of a belt, like on a car. That paddle and bushing arrangement is a lot like the drive hub in the rear wheel of a GS.

If necessary, I can break out my manual for the electrical system on my Wing. It's only 410 pages, so it shouldn't take long to find the charging section. Yes, it's only the electrical system in that manual. The full service manual for the rest of the bike is close to 2000 pages.

You gotta enjoy the simplicity of a GS.

Thanks Steve. I have passed your great info on to my friend. I told him he should sign up on GS Resources as a member. He did have a GS850L in the dustant past sohe has the GS DNA still. Hopefully this weekend he will be able to get back on the case as daycare is just M-F.

Simplicity of a GS? I am often told I am simple so I guess I ride the correct steed.

Be safe!

DH
      Rides ROADKILL-1981 GS850G, very slowly these days.

Comment

Working...
      X