Howling Speedometer: Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howling Speedometer: Why?

(This is not an Alan Ginsberg poem: " saw the best speedo of my generation)

The good news is not only that I got to take a longer ride on the motorcycle, and not only that I got my wife on the back for the ride, but also and most importantly that I put 200 miles on the bike without any more failures!

Now the bad news. What used to be a rare and intermittent howl (squeal? honk?) from the speedometer has become a near constant noise, starting when I climb above 20MPH or so and continuing under I drop under 1-2MPH.

Previous experience with VDO speedometers in VWs is that the bushing on the driven shaft is bad (most likely) or needing oil (less likely.)

I made a post a while ago about my bouncing speedo and tach (mainly tach.) The bouncing is still there, but it howls whether or not it is bouncing.

Is this a basic and fixable problem, or is the speedo no good anymore?
    1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Hey, good that you got out on bike, and had the wife along.

on your previous post I suspect you learned that the bouncing gauges are usually from the cable binding, then breaking free, so lubing the cables usually takes care of that.

my experience on the howling gauges is similar to what you said about VW gauges.
    disconnect the cable from back of gauge, squirt in a little lube in/around the gauge drive. Try that. If that doesn’t work, next try removing the guage so can hold it sideways and get the lube in a little further (but not so much that gets on face of guage).
    If that doesn’t work, then next level is taking guage apart (either pry up the ring around the glass or cut plastic open. Are postings about either) ..... or drill small hole in the side to allow spraying in lube. Are more details on each option in other postings, just giving the ideas here.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      Hey, good that you got out on bike, and had the wife along.

on your previous post I suspect you learned that the bouncing gauges are usually from the cable binding, then breaking free, so lubing the cables usually takes care of that.

my experience on the howling gauges is similar to what you said about VW gauges.
      disconnect the cable from back of gauge, squirt in a little lube in/around the gauge drive. Try that. If that doesn’t work, next try removing the guage so can hold it sideways and get the lube in a little further (but not so much that gets on face of guage).
      If that doesn’t work, then next level is taking guage apart (either pry up the ring around the glass or cut plastic open. Are postings about either) ..... or drill small hole in the side to allow spraying in lube. Are more details on each option in other postings, just giving the ideas here.
      Very good. Thank you. That's about what I figured. I am still waiting for the cables to come in on the gondola from Japan.

Comment

I have that same thing going on with my Wing, will be attacking it before too long.

My plan of attack is pretty much what Redman suggested. I think it's a dry bushing in the back of the speedo assembly, but I have to take a LOT of the bike apart to get to it. Good thing I have to replace some light bulbs in the gauge cluster, too. In fact, it is recommended practice to replace ALL the bulbs because of the effort required to replace just one.

So, I will pull the cable off the drive unit at the wheel, chuck it in a drill to see if it gets noisy. If it does, I'll lube the cable and the speedo. I might just remove the drive unit from the front wheel and re-pack it with grease, just to be sure.

We can check some of this stuff when I get there this weekend, just make a list, we'll see how many things we can cross off.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          We can check some of this stuff when I get there this weekend, just make a list, we'll see how many things we can cross off.
          Thanks, Steve. The weather is looking good for it, too. I just have to make the workshop more inviting for a guest.

Comment

Don't forget the extra parking space for MY project.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Don't forget the extra parking space for MY project.
              YOUR project happens in the alley. There's no way your trailer is fitting into the garage beside the bedridden Yugo.

Comment

A Tech Day in Columbus, is that what I'm reading? Maybe I'll shoot on down too. 🌞
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                  A Tech Day in Columbus, is that what I'm reading? Maybe I'll shoot on down too. 
                  As far as I'm concerned, you're welcome to come. PM me for the address. We will get started at 9am on Saturday.

Comment

Sounds like a good time is about to happen! It's definitely going to be a good weekend for riding as far as weather is concerned.
                    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

How could it possibly be a good day for riding with a storm(64) shooting down from the north?

Just kidding, Norm.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

I see what you did there, Steve. lol
                        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Haha, I'm not sure where I'm going this weekend. I'm getting new tires mounted tomorrow. I might head to southeast Ohio and play in the twisties. Or ride east into Pennsylvania and hit the Appalachian mountains. However it would be fun to hangout with you and Steve and work on the motorcycle.
                          My Motorcycles:
                          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)
                          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Norm, give me a holler if you get close to Central PA.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                            X