Coils for an 83 gs850L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coils for an 83 gs850L

Can anyone recommend a good set of aftermarket coils ? I have a 1983 gs850L. Thanks

Honda MT-08 coils as fitted to various Hondas down through the years, including Goldwings. I've been using them for years and had absolutely no trouble.
    Handy thing about them is they have replaceable HT leads.
    If you want to go higher output there's the option of Accel coils and the like but just be sure to get the 3 ohm ones, any lower will severely strain (and eventually pop) your igniter.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Can you say why you think you need new coils?

(THey are quite reliable.)

Have you checked the plugcaps? They twist-pull off the wires. Should measure 5K ohms. THey are a more likely failure than the coils, and cost about $5 each.
      Last edited by Redman; 09-07-2020, 08:59 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I will echo the question "why do you think you need new coils?", but if you really DO need new coils, Dyna green 3Ω coils work just fine. You will then need new wires and 5kΩ caps. You will need two XB05F and two VB05F.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have been having some spark issues lately. I checked the ohms and they were off . One more than the other also the wire were cracked and to my knowledge unreplaceable. I found a pair on a 550 I have that seem to be working better and the resistance check out ok. I am still gonna purchase a new set over winter. Probably a complete ignition set. But maybe just coils.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I will echo the question "why do you think you need new coils?", but if you really DO need new coils, Dyna green 3Ω coils work just fine. You will then need new wires and 5kΩ caps. You will need two XB05F and two VB05F.

Ok so I found the green coils but I also checked dynatek and they recommended a black set that said they were also 3 ohms . Does that sound right? Also I found the NFL boots .,but I wasn't sure what size wire to by. I was thinking about buying cloth wire for the look. And last do you have a part number for the ignition that I should purchase next or now? (Does it matter that I have a lithium ion batttery)? Sorry about all the questions ,I m just looking to make an informed purchase . Thanks.

Comment

Looking at the Dyna website, it's a bit confusing, as there are no descriptions or specs listed. Looking at the Z1 site, you can see pictures and specs in the descriptions. The only black ones that are close are not 3 Ω coils. The ones I see are 4 Ω coils, but that's OK, if that's what you want. More resistance means less current. Less current means less magnetic field. Less magnetic field means weaker spark. Your choice.

Buy cloth wire "for the look"? Are you restoring something from the early 20th century for a Concours judging? I have not priced cloth wire to see if there is any saving there, but I have never heard of anyone bragging about it being cheaper, so I doubt that it is.

Your stock ignition will work fine with these coils. If you choose to go to a Dyna ignition system, you will also have to find a mechanical advance unit to install on the right end of your crank.

Having a Lithium ion battery will not affect the ignition choices. However, if you don't have the proper voltage regulator, you will not enjoy the "advantage" of a Lithium battery very long. What was the incentive to go with a Lithium battery?

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sounds like I'll need the green ones also I just like the look of the cloth wire and by the way it's a modern cloth wire made to look old. My bike is similiar to a cafe racer though I would say it has a slightly custom look to it, so the lithium ion battery was much smaller aswell as lighter and was able to fit inside the hump on the rear of the seat aswell as the rest of the electrical. With the exception of the reg/which is mounted just under the seat box to allow it to be air cooled. Is is an up grade ,I went with the hotshot from Ricks electric specifically made for lithium ion batterys. The electrical pan under the seat is about 22mm or 7/8 inch. So you cant see it,it hides behind the frame . So pretty much all you see is engine, a row of pods and straight threw the bike. I still cant figure out the picture upload deal . I've read about it and from what I can tell it's not free and the other option which I've downloaded on to my phone doesnt seem to work for me either lol. If I ever figure it out I'll post some pics of my bike and other bikes aswell. I belong to an impala forum and a Chevy forum both of which allow the user to upload pics strait from there photo gallery. Why is it so different on this site? Anyways thanks again for the info.

Comment

On posting pics:
                  I've written instructions on how to do this using Imgur. Linked in my signature.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

So I bought the green coils as suggested as well as the 5 olm ngk caps. I a still plan to order new wires. Which plug wires are the best. I see 7 mil and 8 mil as well as suppressed or solid copper ? 1983 Suzuki gs850L

Comment

8mm wires if your coils and plug caps will accept it, otherwise just use 7mm as it's more standard and likely to fit.
                      Solid (actually stranded) core wires are fine if you use suppressed caps or resistor plugs.
                      Real solid core wires would fracture internally and cause problems, which is why you don't see them.
                      If you get tempted to forego the resistor(s) don't be surprised if your ignitor turns its toes up sometime. Suppressed wires tend to break down over time, and I'm no fan of them. Perhaps modern suppressed wires are better, but that's a horse that bit me years ago and I avoid them.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                      X