Starter solenoid testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter solenoid testing

I just picked up a 1982 GS650GL and the wiring is a nightmare. There are like 10 home wire wire nuts just in the headlight shell.

There was a small rocker switch wired in near the battery from the green/yellow wire that would be from the start button. I diked all of that out and now have the y/g wire solid all the way from the handlebar switch to the starter relay (solenoid).

Still not even a click from the starter sol.

I removed the solenoid and touched the wire from it to pos battery and ground to the sol lug. Nothing. Is this the correct way to test these? The wiring throughout the bike is such a mess, I thought I would just test the sol by itself and avoid any wiring pitfalls.

In your discussion, you made no mention of the clutch switch. You said 'wiring from starter button to solenoid'. In the stock wiring there is a switch on the clutch between the starter button and the solenoid. But that is often removed/bypassed from the circuit if it caused someone a problem or they just didnt like it beause it then takes two hands to start the bike.

Originally posted by clegg View Post
    . . . . .

I removed the solenoid and touched the wire from it to pos battery and ground to the sol lug. Nothing. Is this the correct way to test these? . . . . . . .
    I assume by "wire from it" that you mean the grn/yel wire.

Define "Lug".
    If you mean one of the treaded studs that had a thick red wire: NO, that not a good test at all.
    If you meant one of the mounting feet (the case of the solenoid) that was bolted down: Yes, that would be a proper test.
    Last edited by Redman; 09-23-2020, 04:31 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

First, make sure the rear wheel is off the ground or the transmission is in Neutral.

With the starter solenoid mounted in its proper place, use a jumper wire to connect the solder pad with the yellow/green wire and the battery + terminal. The solenoid should CLICK and the starter should run.

If you get no CLICK from the solenoid, verify that you have a good ground. The solenoid mounts to the side of the battery box, which is rubber-isolated, requiring a separate ground wire. If you don't see a black/white wire under one of the solenoid mounting bolts, put one there and test the yellow/green wire again.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So to test if the solenoid clicks off of the bike ( it is removed from the battery case), the y/g wire to pos and ground to the case of the solenoid?

Comment

Originally posted by clegg View Post
          so to test if the solenoid clicks off of the bike ( it is removed from the battery case), the y/g wire to pos and ground to the case of the solenoid?
          y e s . .

. .

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

yes.........................
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Awesome, thanks!

Comment

IF it clicks add a ground wire from one of the mounting bolts direct to the battery negative. If it clicks then its problem solved...if not the problem is upstream of the selinoid in the wiring or the button. To see if you get a signal when pushig the button set meter to DC VOLTS. put the red lead into the plug on the wire harness and black lead on battery ground. When button is pushed you should see voltage at the plug...if not the next thing upstream is the switch (button).
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You SHOULD have a meter, but a test like that is a bit easier with a test light (which you should have, too).

If you find that you do have a bad solenoid, go to Lowe's, Home Depot or similar store to the lawn mower section and get a solenoid there. Same size and rating, about $11.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I have a Fluke DMM and both continuity and 12v test lights.

So I held the body of the solenoid to batt - and the g/y wire to batt +. No click. I will head to Lowes for the tractor sol.

I've also added a ground wire from the handlebar switch as the bars are black, a lot of people have electrical problems when they change to painted bars. They don't realize that the bars ground the switchgear.
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2020, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I've also added a ground wire from the handlebar switch as the bars are black, a lot of people have electrical problems when they change to painted bars. They don't realize that the bars ground the switchgear.
                      No they don't.

Not on any bike I have, anyways. Grounding through the headstocks greasy ball bearings (the eventual path of "handlebar grounding) is a bad idea. On old suzukis, LOOK for a Black/white stripe ground wire from the front part of the harness serving the headlight, gauge lights etc. that is attached to the main frame
                      Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-24-2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I have a 1981 Yamaha XS400 that did in fact need a ground wire added because of the black bars. If you look on most bikes the switchgear has a contact that engages with the bars. So, yeah they do.
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

The only circuit that <might> ground through the handlebars is the horn.

Everything else is only moving the hot-side wire around, if it <does> need a ground, it's wired with its own ground wire.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

I don't have an "81" XS400, but none of my bikes have a ground to the handlebar & I really don't remember seeing one that did. If you're seeing a little nub on the switchgear, that goes in a hole in the OEM handlebar to keep the switchgear from rotating.
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                              I don't have an "81" XS400, but none of my bikes have a ground to the handlebar & I really don't remember seeing one that did. If you're seeing a little nub on the switchgear, that goes in a hole in the OEM handlebar to keep the switchgear from rotating.
                              I have had Hondas and Yamahas that had the contact from the switch to the handlebar. It's not a locator because the oem bars do not have a hole. I just know that the solenoid would not function on the xs400 when the black bars went on. I added the wire to ground and surprise.....the starter then worked with the switch.

For the all knowing go to the XS400 forum and search Starter stopped working.

You will learn something.

My friend added painted low bars to his bike and could not figure out why the bike would not start. Added a grd wire and voila

Getting back to the original issue unless this need disputed also.
                              I ended up finding an $8.00 solenoid Maxpower 334019
                              for the GS and now have a functioning starter.
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X