Need Stator Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Stator Help

I have been working on my 1978 GS750, I have everything buttoned back up, it starts and runs fine but is not charging. The voltage at the battery is ~12.4 V steady, no change with rpm's at all. With lights on for 10 seconds, engine off, voltage drops to 12.2 V.
    I did some tests on the stator; I'm getting 0.8 Ohms resistance between all three combinations of the 3 stator leads, but no voltage between any of them (measuring AC Volts, lowest range --200V). There is no continuity between any of the stator leads and the engine block/frame ground.
    It seems like I must be measuring the output wrong, is it possible to have NO output from the stator ? Charging had been getting a little worse on when looking at the voltmeter when riding, but it was still charging.

The work I had been doing was putting the starter motor, starter clutch, solenoid, and wiring back in-- some bonehead (me) had removed it all to go kickstart only. I did mess up the rotor taking it off to install the starter clutch and replaced it with a matching used one, from the same model/year bike--but that seems like an unlikely thing to fail though.
    Any thoughts? Can a stator fail that dramatically?
    Thanks
    Last edited by CrazyCloud; 09-23-2020, 07:38 PM.
    Regards,
    Jason

https://go.rmstator.com/documents/Ca...0170223-EN.pdf This should help.

Comment

Thanks, yes looking at the tests sure indicates the stator is fried. I just don't have a lot of electrical experience, and was wondering if a stator will fail to produce any voltage like my readings suggest is the case here. I have not heard of it happening, so it makes me question my testing.
      Regards,
      Jason

Comment

Zero voltage is questionable.

good the you mentioned were measuring on ac scale. I suppose as a test of meter you could try the meter in an outlet.

you say you replaced the rotor with same model year.
        Same 12 pole as the stator?
        (79 and prior had 12 pole. 80 and after had 18 pole
        Last edited by Redman; 09-23-2020, 08:20 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

When you say no voltage between any of them, you do mean between any two of the three ?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Disconnect the stator from the main harness, then measure AC voltage output across each pair of legs with the RPM's at 5000. If you see less than 75 VAC then the stator is done.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The meter tested good on 120 AC from the wall. Yes, same rotor as far as I can tell, same dimensions and number of magnets, allegedly from a 12 pole bike like mine. Yes, was measuring V AC between pairs of stator leads with the stator unhooked from the R/R. Guess I'm ordering a stator tonight.
              Last edited by CrazyCloud; 09-23-2020, 08:46 PM.
              Regards,
              Jason

Comment

While you are ordering your stator, why not upgrade the rest of the charging system?

Removing your current rectifier and regulator, then replacing them with a combined unit in the form of an SH775 would do wonders for your charging. Used units are available often on eBay, but you have to shop CAREFULLY. Go to the search window, enter "regulator (polaris,seadoo)" (without the quotes, of course), then apply some filters in the left column: Condition - USED. Item Location - US Only. Scroll through the pictures until you see one like this:

Then look through the detail pictures to see if it has the "SH775" printed on the back fin.

Here is a link to one that is $40:

Do not get tempted to get one of the $25 knock-offs that are shown below that item. They are not the real thing.
                This particular one does not show SH775, but it does list that it was removed from a RAZR and gives the proper part number, so I am confident enough to recommend it.

By the way, Caltric has your stator for $55. A gasket is less than $6, but do NOT get their $20 R/R.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So I stopped to look at the rotors again. Although they both both look like they have 4 magnets forming the circle, they have different numbers of 'points of attraction' if you pull a screwdriver around the magnets. So, my used replacement rotor from ebay, which is on the bike already, is an 18 pole (not the stock one for my model)-- problem likely solved. The joy of buying used interchangeable parts online! Of course I have already ordered a new stator for a 12 pole rotor. Thanks for listening,
                  Regards,
                  Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    While you are ordering your stator, why not upgrade the rest of the charging system?

Removing your current rectifier and regulator, then replacing them with a combined unit in the form of an SH775 would do wonders for your charging. Used units are available often on eBay, but you have to shop CAREFULLY. Go to the search window, enter "regulator (polaris,seadoo)" (without the quotes, of course), then apply some filters in the left column: Condition - USED. Item Location - US Only. Scroll through the pictures until you see one like this:
                    Then look through the detail pictures to see if it has the "SH775" printed on the back fin.

Here is a link to one that is $40:

Do not get tempted to get one of the $25 knock-offs that are shown below that item. They are not the real thing.
                    This particular one does not show SH775, but it does list that it was removed from a RAZR and gives the proper part number, so I am confident enough to recommend it.

By the way, Caltric has your stator for $55. A gasket is less than $6, but do NOT get their $20 R/R.

Thanks Steve, good to hear from you. I do have a SH775 in there already, so hopefully the charging system will be good to go for a while once this is buttoned up. I have ordered a Caltric stator already (partially based on your reports on here) hopefully they can change my order in the AM before it ships and I'll be on the road again.
                    Regards,
                    Jason

Comment

Working...
                    X