450 won't start :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 won't start :(

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to electrical but decent with mechanical. I know, my bad, especially when my ride is a 1985. With covid, my electrically talented friend who normally helps me can't come over.

On my own, I have figured out how to use the multimeter to show that the battery is at 13 volts. If I turn the key to start the bike and press the starter button, nothing happens. No click, whirr, etc. The indicator lights do appear to be a bit dim on the dash. The bike has exactly one fuse and I replaced that just in case but no change in status.

Is there a step by step guide for electrical idiots like myself who don't want to get zapped and aren't really sure how to test different parts of the system?

Not a lot of info. but on these old GS's the clutch switch would be the first place I'd look. They are made kind'f weak & have caused a bunch of problems for a bunch of folks. Welcome aboard & good luck.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks! I'll check the clutch switch out.

Comment

Originally posted by trtsmb View Post
        I'm a complete idiot when it comes to electrical but decent with mechanical. I know, my bad, especially when my ride is a 1985. .....

Especailly since you have an 1980s GS.

Good that you do have a meter. Is very hard to troubleshoot electrical problems with the senses your body has.

Originally posted by trtsmb View Post
        ........................ If I turn the key to start the bike and press the starter button, nothing happens. ............

You didnt say anything about holding in the clutch..... either just didnt think to mention it..... or you havent had too since someone has bypassed it.
        Please clarify.

Have you found the solenoid?
        THe grn/yel wire on the solenoid?
        Try meter red on that wire/connection, and meter black on BatteryNeg, while pull clutch and hit the starter button (will need two extra hands or meter leads with clips). If no voltage, then find the clutch switch, it is adjustable. If voltage there but no click, try again but with meter black right on the solenoid mounting, if no voltage (but was before), then suspect that the solenoid is not well grounded: add a ground wire to there.
        Last edited by Redman; 09-26-2020, 02:35 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
        X