How to check and adjust timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to check and adjust timing

Hey curious on how I check and adjust my timing if needed.

Edit: found out the correct term is checking the ignition points, do I need a timing light?
    Last edited by timebombprod; 12-11-2020, 04:39 PM.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

You don't have points. Your timing isn't adjustable from the factory, you could change it with slight mods. Yes you need a timing light to check it
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

There’s almost no adjustment from factory setting....but remove the little cover on right side and check/lube the advance mechanism behind the signal generator plate....it needs to swing about 30 degrees to hit full advance by 4000 rpm. If it sticks you could have timing issues.

Last edited by tom203; 12-11-2020, 06:22 PM.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        You don't have points. Your timing isn't adjustable from the factory, you could change it with slight mods. Yes you need a timing light to check it
        There is no advance mechanism either, that's done in the spark box. Realize you're chasing down a backfire issue based on your other posts but you haven't followed up (with answers anyhow) on many of the suggestions you've been given.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Wooo, wait, No advancer??? Are you sure??? My "80" 1100 did. It got stuck once & wouldn't advance. Took it out, cleaned & lubed it , back in & all was well. I've not worked on an "82" 650GL
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
            There is no advance mechanism either, that's done in the spark box. Realize you're chasing down a backfire issue based on your other posts but you haven't followed up (with answers anyhow) on many of the suggestions you've been given.
            I asked how to setup the multimeter as I haven't used one before.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Type "how to use a multimeter" in Google?
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                There’s almost no adjustment from factory setting....but remove the little cover on right side and check/lube the advance mechanism behind the signal generator plate....it needs to swing about 30 degrees to hit full advance by 4000 rpm. If it sticks you could have timing issues.

https://alpha-sports.com/spst/1982%2...q=suzuki-parts

How do I get to it do i have to take the plate off Infront? All I've done was spin the engine with the sparks off and disconnected and the springs didnt move at all but the piece.rolled with the engine, see stuff like 1-4 and 2-3 on it and a T and F with dashes between them behind the 1-4.

Edit: just realised there is also the same numbers on the plate in front of the mechanism about the same distance apart fromeach other.
                Last edited by timebombprod; 12-12-2020, 01:29 AM.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

As far as I know, all the 650 shafties had the mechanical advancer. Remove the signal generator plate (3 screws)...grab the tab projection on mechanism and observe its action as you twist and release it.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post

https://alpha-sports.com/spst/1982%2...q=suzuki-parts
                    Correct. FYI, item 5 in the picture linked is the mechanical advance.
                    There are no points. Item 4 is the signal generator which roughly speaking, replaces their function.

@timebombprod Why are you adjusting timing? Probably a bad idea on a stock bike with electronic ignition. It's manufactured as non-adjustable, but if You Must, I suppose you could fiddle with elongating the holes that attach item 4 baseplate.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      Correct. FYI, item 5 in the picture linked is the mechanical advance.
                      There are no points. Item 4 is the signal generator which roughly speaking, replaces their function.

@timebombprod Why are you adjusting timing? Probably a bad idea on a stock bike with electronic ignition. It's manufactured as non-adjustable, but if You Must, I suppose you could fiddle with elongating the holes that attach item 4 baseplate.

Basically never touched it, and I dont plan on adjusting it or anything unless it needs to be, but like most things I found on this bike they've been there since the beginning so I just wanna make sure it operates correctly.

Basically just making sure things I've never messed with are where they are supposed to be and working right.
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

About all you can accomplish is see that the advancer is working. Get timing light hooked up, with eng at idle shine the light thru the little hole in the plate, timing mark should be lined up at, or near the "T", then watch while slightly revving the eng & timing mark should move toward "F", let off throttle and mark should drop back to "T". At least I think that's right.

Comment

Working...
                        X