Coilpack resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coilpack resistance

Should the coilpack resistance also be around 5?

The connections that are behind the coilpack read a single digit number...multimeter screen is bad, the connections that you hook the leads up to however, read about 12 and 13.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Guess I should mention my spark is orange.... gonna post a video just fofor clarification for the viewer.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

......video with bad multi meter was here
      Last edited by timebombprod; 03-15-2021, 01:11 PM.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Okay scratch that video, I got a new mutlitmeter and checked again.

I'm getting readings of 4.7 on the connections that you hook the wires up to on the coilpack, and getting readings withing the range of 12 on the connections that you hook the leads up to.

The reading of 4.7 was on the setting of 200, while the reading of 12 was on the 20000 setting.
        Last edited by timebombprod; 03-15-2021, 01:14 PM.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Ordered OEM coilpacks as the resistance for the secondary connections should be 30-35 and these were about a third of that number.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
            Ordered OEM coilpacks as the resistance for the secondary connections should be 30-35 and these were about a third of that number.
            With plug caps removed, stick multimeter probes into plug leads of a coil...with meter on 20000 ohm scale , you should see 12 on display meaning 12000 ohms. The 30k to 35 k refers to over the reinstalled plug caps.
            your ignition coils are offering same reading as mine.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              With plug caps removed, stick multimeter probes into plug leads of a coil...with meter on 20000 ohm scale , you should see 12 on display meaning 12000 ohms. The 30k to 35 k refers to over the reinstalled plug caps.
              your ignition coils are offering same reading as mine.
              Oh okay, cancelling that order now. Gonna go back to messing with the ignitor
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Do you by chance have the tears for the R/R, stator, and ignitor?
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                  Do you by chance have the tears for the R/R, stator, and ignitor?
                  “Tears” ??
                  anyways, reading your other thread with the cracked plug leads , rather than trying to replace plug wires, I’d get a used set of ignition coils that appear decent. Here’s a set off gs1100 that look good to me for $33. and appear to have same connectors.There’s plenty of others

the 650 ignitor is very reliable...the connections are the weak point
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    “Tears” ??
                    anyways, reading your other thread with the cracked plug leads , rather than trying to replace plug wires, I’d get a used set of ignition coils that appear decent. Here’s a set off gs1100 that look good to me for $33. and appear to have same connectors.There’s plenty of others

the 650 ignitor is very reliable...the connections are the weak point
                    Oops meant tests
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

I replaced the leads already
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Charging system quick test is linked in my signature.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Long story short its fixed and running again. Gonna do that charging test as I dont want to keep returning my battery every 90 days
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                          X