650L clutch cable routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650L clutch cable routing

My bike came with a new clutch cable, so taking out the old was one of the first things I did. Now that I'm finally starting to get things back together, I can't remember the routing. My guess from looking at a G manual would be between carbs 2&3. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!
    Drew

1981 GS650L (one step at a time...lots to do)
    1994 Honda Shadow VLX (for sale in spring)
    2011 Suzuki DL650

From this image from the 650 G manual on BikeCliff's Website, it shows the clutch cable routing over the carbs and it would appear down between two carbs. 1st and 2nd would be my guess, but since only 2 carbs ore shown, the pic is inconclusive. But I can tell you that on my bike the clutch cable runs down between carbs 1 and to 2, and there's a cable stay/spring steel there to keep it there. The happy green smiley face in my pic, not the angry red frowny face which was what led to the destruction of my engine. True story, see the destroy-rebuild thread in my signature. The clutch cable routes in front of the carbs on my bike, not behind like yours.

650 G Manual

My Bike
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 03-18-2022, 09:36 AM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Hmm...i don't remember there being any kind of cable stay down low like that when i got my bike.
      Drew

1981 GS650L (one step at a time...lots to do)
      1994 Honda Shadow VLX (for sale in spring)
      2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

There very well may not be a cable stay/spring on the 650. Look at a parts parts fiche from any of the online parts dealers like partshark.com.

I didn't see one on the fiche.

As least with the clutch cable running over the carbs and down the back side, there's little chance of that cable fouling the throttle linkage on the front side of the carbs.
        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 03-18-2022, 09:35 AM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Routing is back side between 1 and 2 carbs as rich surmised …..this lines up better with cable anchor on crankcase for easier pull.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X