Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGK B8ES spark plug replacements: Autolite or Champion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting, I'm pretty sure all GS's, even the earliest ones, had resistor wires & resistor plug caps, but not resistor plugs. Somewhere they changed as my "91" GSX1100G has resistors at all three places. Still don't know the reason for any, all I've ever heard was to reduce static on radios. It just seems any resistor would either weaken or slow the spark, it just doesn't seem like something needed. Should be easy question for someone, what year did the Suzuki bikes start using "Resistor" plugs?
    Last edited by rphillips; 03-23-2022, 12:38 PM.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Here's a quick and dirty comparison. Ignore the terrible sound sync, and cut to the last third or so to see the figures.
      He seems to have overlooked that the plug cap is a resistive one, so hardly surprising he gets the results he does.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        Interesting, I'm pretty sure all GS's, even the earliest ones, had resistor wires & resistor plug caps, but not resistor plugs. Somewhere they changed as my "91" GSX1100G has resistors at all three places. Still don't know the reason for any, all I've ever heard was to reduce static on radios. It just seems any resistor would either weaken or slow the spark, it just doesn't seem like something needed. Should be easy question for someone, what year did the Suzuki bikes start using "Resistor" plugs?
        MINE has pure copper stranded. One assumes a natural resistance but there no indication of anything more
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          Here's a quick and dirty comparison. Ignore the terrible sound sync, and cut to the last third or so to see the figures.
          He seems to have overlooked that the plug cap is a resistive one, so hardly surprising he gets the results he does.
          One thing in the vid is evident in my bike and that is there is a sickly looking spark produced in spite of it the motor runs fine.
          Im not sure what the obsession is with peak voltage the spark only needs to be hot enough to ignite atomised gasoline not a peat bog in a deluge.

from what I recall of the ads for performance ignitions is the need for more voltage for higher compression ratios.

Ive never suffered a perceivable performance deficit rom using a resistor plug with the stock caps
          not in acceleration or fuel economy or plug life.
          Last edited by Cipher; 03-23-2022, 04:41 PM.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Kind'f interesting video, we probably already knew the resistor plug would reduce the voltage but now we know how much, 12.8 kv vs 29.0 kv. Probably if used non resistor plug caps & non resistor wires the voltage may get to appx. 62kv. I wish he had tried the bike with the non resistor plugs to see if there was any difference...I'll try to make this short, yr. or two ago trying to get my GSX1100G started after its winter nap & no sign of starting, crank crank crank but nothing, not a sputter nor cough. Pulled a plug (OEM NGK JR9B resistor) & saw what "looked like" a very weak spark, new set of JR9B's & still no start & very weak "looking" spark. These JR9B plugs look exactly like the NGK D8EA (non resistors) used in my GS1100E & CB1100F. I stuck a D8EA in one plug cap & immediately saw a much brighter spark, put in 4 D8EA's & bike fired right up & is still starting & running perfectly today. Only change was from JR9B to D8EA plugs. The bike had been running fine, for yrs., with the JR9B's before this happened, I've never figured what changed but all good today with the D8EA's. ..Strange I know.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

MINE has pure copper stranded. One assumes a natural resistance but there no indication of anything more
              Correct. Suzuki used non-resistor copper core plug wires on our GS bikes.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the correction, that just shows my old waning mind, I'd thought they were the nylon looking fibers & grey powdery stuff.

Comment

I guess another way around the “no more off the shelf B8ES plugs from autozone/oreilly/advance auto parts ” bugaboo is to run Dyna style coils/spark plug leads and switch to BR8ES. I see China is now counterfeiting the 5 ohm dyna coils and hawking them on eBay for $30 a set with free shipping. I didn’t see if they had the 3 ohm version but it wouldn’t be surprised if those are available too. It would be interesting to see how long they last versus the real deal. I mean coils aren’t exactly complex pieces
                  Last edited by mattd1205; 03-24-2022, 02:10 PM.
                  1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
                  1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

Comment

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...rch-mainSearch

VS.

Purchase the Dynatek Coil - 12v/3 OHM - DC1-1 at Canada's Motorcycle. Free shipping and Easy returns.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by mattd1205 View Post
                      I guess another way around the “no more off the shelf B8ES plugs from autozone/oreilly/advance auto parts ” bugaboo is to run Dyna style coils/spark plug leads and switch to BR8ES. I see China is now counterfeiting the 5 ohm dyna coils and hawking them on eBay for $30 a set with free shipping. I didn’t see if they had the 3 ohm version but it wouldn’t be surprised if those are available too. It would be interesting to see how long they last versus the real deal. I mean coils aren’t exactly complex pieces
                      Or just get a pair of MT-08 coils as fitted to umpteen million Hondas for decades.
                      My preference is to snag a triple set from a 1500 GlogWing and now I have a boxful of spares.
                      They're ~3ohms primary (so suit most GSs), have easily replaceable leads (you can fit the leads of your choice), and tough as old boots.
                      Best thing is the price. A triple set commonly sells for ~$25.
                      ---- Dave
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

It seems to me that if the spark jumps the gap, what difference does the extra voltage make?

Now if the extra voltage available lets you open up the spark plug gap, maybe that wider spark would ignite more fuel particles, resulting in more consistent ignition of the fuel charge? ?

Or perhaps with the original spark plug gap, the increased voltage would take longer to discharge the coil, therefore holding the arc longer , resulting in more consistent ignition? ?

Thoughts?
                        Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                        1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                        1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Side note: In the 1980's, my '73 Z1 (903cc) was burning oil like a mo fo. It very quickly fouled the plugs, and I was constantly cleaning and switching plugs. Then someone showed me these plugs with thin wire electrodes; I was told there was just no real surface for oil to accumulate, that they would fire in oil. And sure enough...
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Try NGK irridium. Pricey, but good plugs...
                            actually there's more to "resistance" than noise on am radios. Resistance on the secondary shapes the spark AND also reduces the back-splash of field collapse and recharge. Likewise on the primary coil. Suzuki's are "tuned" no doubt, but a resistor plug's resistance is not a super big deal if used. But, to stay "in tune" I guess you can just short out the resistor cap when using Resistor plugs....I wouldn't run less than Suzuki's, but more doesn't hurt an awful lot that I can tell.

Comment

Another thing I've tried is projected nose plugs.
                              There was definitely a slight difference in a good way.
                              ---- Dave

Comment

I was unable to find the B8ES plugs for my 850 and used Champion N2C and they worked just fine. No prblems at all. I would have rather used NGKs but the Champions are the ones I found localy .
                                Jerry
                                1981 GS650E
                                1982 GS1100E
                                2018 Can AM Spyder
                                1980 GS1000G (parts)

Comment

Working...
                                X