Rebuilding 1979 GS 1000 front caliper problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding 1979 GS 1000 front caliper problems

My 15,000 mile GS had the right front caliper start leaking and wiping the rotor.I ordered OEM Suzuki parts to rebuild it from Westfield Powersports but when i installed the new o-ring for the piston into the caliper body it would buckle and not lay down flat like it was too big. I tried putting it in the freezer but that did not help.
    Any suggestions or recommendations on what to do to get this caliper properly re-built ?
    Does anyone have or know of a rebuilding service ?
    Thanks in advance !

Peace WildBill
    WildBill

Here's a guess - when I was rebuilding my 79's brakes I bought the wrong part number 59307-45021. Partzilla had calipers for both 'C' and the 'EC' listed under the GS1000EN page and I wasn't paying close enough attention when I ordered. The 'C' must be the larger single caliper. I think the correct number is 59107-34021 but double check as it's been a while.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I just rebuilt both front calipers this weekend on my '79 GS1000. The seal part number should be 59107-34021 and although it might seem a bit big when doing the install, once it's in the groove it will fit like a glove. It sounds like you may have the wrong seal. These calipers are not too difficult to rebuild providing you have some basic tools and OEM parts.

Comment

Best thing to do with the 79 calipers is heft one in the hand to get a feel of the weight.
        Then punt it as far as possible into the ocean.
        Replace with 80-on calipers as a straight swap.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I'm with Grim on this one...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            Best thing to do with the 79 calipers is heft one in the hand to get a feel of the weight.
            Then punt it as far as possible into the ocean.
            Replace with 80-on calipers as a straight swap.
            That sure seems logical but somehow I got my '79 stopping really well, better than my '82 1100 turbo. Maybe the 100 HP difference is the thing. It takes a firm squeeze but the 79's are strong and right to the edge it's predictable. I was surprised.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post

That sure seems logical but somehow I got my '79 stopping really well, better than my '82 1100 turbo. Maybe the 100 HP difference is the thing. It takes a firm squeeze but the 79's are strong and right to the edge it's predictable. I was surprised.
              Apart from them never being all that good in the dry and atrocious in the wet, I was actually going to rebuild them a few years ago.
              Then, when I stripped them I discovered serious corrosion internally, in the casting that holds them together. Under heavy braking there was a very good chance one (or both) of them might have cracked, leaving me with no brakes.
              That's why I hate them.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

My calipers are perfect and not corroded....i will check the part#'s on the o-rings that i got....hopefully i got the wrong ones. As described above.....i love the brakes on my GS....good stopping power and very predictable in application....

Peace WildBill
                WildBill

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                  Here's a guess - when I was rebuilding my 79's brakes I bought the wrong part number 59307-45021. Partzilla had calipers for both 'C' and the 'EC' listed under the GS1000EN page and I wasn't paying close enough attention when I ordered. The 'C' must be the larger single caliper. I think the correct number is 59107-34021 but double check as it's been a while.
                  The single disc models in 78 and 79 do have a larger piston than the E double disc models.

If the groove in the caliper is clean, the correct seal should pop right in.

Naturally, the seal should fit snugly around the piston
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Ok....i just went and looked at the piston seals i got and the bags are numbered 59307-45021.......i will order the 59107-34021 piston seals and see how they fit.

Anyone need the two i have ? $5.00 for the pair mailed to you for free.

I appreciate all the help from you all !

Peace WildBillIM003090.jpg
                    WildBill

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                      Ok....i just went and looked at the piston seals i got and the bags are numbered 59307-45021.......i will order the 59107-34021 piston seals and see how they fit.

Peace WildBill
                      Retracing my steps - I offered up mine as spare and had one taker, still have one in a box somewhere. Glad to be of help. Bike looks a lot like mine, except I don't have that grab rail, and have a V&H. Had a Kerker on my 82 Katana, sounded great.
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Thanks everyone ! I now have the right seals.

Peace WildBill
                        WildBill

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Peace WildBillIM003090.jpg
                          Hi, I will take the seals if you still have them.
                          Thanks,
                          Marc
                          AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                          1978 GS1000C X2
                          1978 GS1000E X2
                          1979 GS1000S
                          1979 gs1000
                          1983 gs400e

Comment

Working...
                          X