Gs750 carb boot screws stripped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs750 carb boot screws stripped?

Hey, I bought a gs750 parts bike that has lived outside for years, but the screws to remove the carb boots are very stripped. How do I get these off? Use a small grinder to cut the head off the screws?

Vice grips on the outside of the screws. Once the outside screws are loose, try spinning the boot to crack the inner screws loose. If there is impact driver clearance, that will work. Another option is a sharp chisel, striking the screw on the outside edge in order to spin it CCW.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Vice grips on the outside of the screws. Once the outside screws are loose, try spinning the boot to crack the inner screws loose. If there is impact driver clearance, that will work. Another option is a sharp chisel, striking the screw on the outside edge in order to spin it CCW.
      Thanks, I'll try that first, and if it doesn't work I'll try cutting a line in the bolts with a Dremel, and screwdriver the line.

Comment

I like your dremel and "slot" idea. Do you have a hand-held "impact" driver too? A Required tool in your box,IMO) It can help to try soaking around with penetrating oil too of course....ONE thing I'd add is to use the impact BOTH ways ..ie: Bang away to undo, then try "tighten" a bit then undo again. When you first see it undo a little, keep winkling it backnforth (with oil) until it moves more and more and more and more. Ive had really swell success with stuck header bolts this way

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          I like your dremel and "slot" idea. Do you have a hand-held "impact" driver too? A Required tool in your box,IMO) It can help to try soaking around with penetrating oil too of course....ONE thing I'd add is to use the impact BOTH ways ..ie: Bang away to undo, then try "tighten" a bit then undo again. When you first see it undo a little, keep winkling it backnforth (with oil) until it moves more and more and more and more. Ive had really swell success with stuck header bolts this way
          I don't, but I think I'll pickup a cheapo harbor freight one and some pb blaster, should get the job done.

Comment

The PO probably didn't know about JIS screwdrivers and used std Phillips which will strip the head.

Comment

Originally posted by craz1 View Post
              The PO probably didn't know about JIS screwdrivers and used std Phillips which will strip the head.
              Agreed, I have a nice set of jis just for bike use, usually carbs.

Comment

Change them to allen heads and be done with it
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It's excellent you have a parts bike to practise on. When you get your Impactdriver, notice that under the screwdriver holder, that pulls off, you'll fiind a socket driver. it's Very useful and can be adapted from to drive small shanks... a must have. Possibly, if your pockets are deeper, there are battery impact tools ....

Also keep your eye open for a small torque wrench in inch/lbs. Not the larger "ft/lbs" torque wrench. This'll help put things together without needing impact drivers to take them apart and will help prolong gasket life and save twisting the heads off bolts and such.

Comment

Working...
                  X