Sprocket Cover cushions necessity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprocket Cover cushions necessity

While replacing the chain on my 1977 GS750B project, I've realized the top sprocket cover gasket was lost (or likely never present) on the bike. How necessary are these? They're fit for small spacers, but seeing how there's a complete lack of parts availability or information I can't imagine they're critical. For reference, parts numbers are as follows
    11484-45000
    11485-45000
    11486-45000

Also image link for visual reference, parts in question are 14-17. Appreciate the help in advance.
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like BentFoldingChair.

I've never seen anything like that before...is it to stop oil flying out from the chain? and it's not even on this diagram that I can see. Could you make one by building layers of thick gasket paper? I'd be tempted to...or something similar. or maybe fashioned from Thick hard plastic with paper gasket

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs550-1.../BLCK0015.html
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-17-2022, 09:05 PM.

Comment

"I've never seen anything like that before..."
      Well, if you haven't seen it in 10 years of posting that bodes well for me...

I'm guessing it's some older method of vibration damping, and maybe some protection for harness wiring routed above the front sprocket. Was an absolutely grease clogged mess so I doubt it's ever been disturbed in its lifetime. If need be, I'd like to try my hand at remaking one. I'm not 100% on the material, but I'm assuming it's some natural rubber compound.

Comment

It's a noise / vibration thing & no you don't need it
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
        X