Get clutch cover loose……?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get clutch cover loose……?

Got the bolts out (bolt kit that I think I put in about 2006 instead of Phillips screws).

book says to tap around sides to get the cover loose.
    did that. And again more heavily.
    esculated to real hammer and piece of 1x2….
    got it to where it can wiggle some. Can see it separate from the engine case just a little.
    seems to rock a bit around with points about 10oclock and maybe 5oclock staying tight. Looks like maybe is dowel guides there.

seems that about 20 minutes of frustration is my limit these days.

any words of wisdom…?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Redman; 05-17-2022, 05:23 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Looks like cover has little tabs at about 7oclock and 5oclock, but not finding anyway to get anything in behind them.

(need to step away for awhile.)
    (working on bike isn’t why I have bikes.)

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yes there are dowels. The open oil filler hole makes a handy place to stick a finger in to yank the cover. There also may be a little tab at the bottom LH of the cover by the oil level sight window. Be careful with it as it's very thin. I'd take the brake lever and foot peg off for some clearance.
      Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 05-17-2022, 08:36 PM.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
      ​​
      Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Dave, maybe this will help.

I had a heck of a time getting my clutch cover off. Wound up cutting a 2x4 long enough to span from the crash bar to the rear shock mount. Then stuck one end of the plastic QuickGrip clamp in the oil fill hole, other end on the 2x4. Pry things help tremendously, but all together worked very well. Not sure how else it would have come loose. The dowell pin guides were just corroded enough to make it harder than it should be.

I found a couple of pry things to use which were the rubber coated handle of an oil filter channel lock type thing and a thick pry bar. Squeeze some pressure on the clamp and pry, tap, pry, tap tap, squeeze, tap, pry and repeat....

A few pics for reference.
        Clutch cover removal by Roger, on Flickr

Good luck!

Last edited by Burque73; 05-17-2022, 11:27 PM.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post
          Yes there are dowels. ,,
          clearance.
          Thanks KA. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            Dave, maybe this will help.

I had a heck of a time getting my clutch cover off. Wound up cutting a 2x4 long enough to span from the crash bar to the rear shock mount. Then stuck one end of the plastic QuickGrip clamp in the oil fill hole, other end on the 2x4. Pry things help tremendously, but all together worked very well. Not sure how else it would have come loose. The dowell pin guides were just corroded enough to make it harder than .
            z

thanks Roger

. . .

Comment

With better understanding/observation of location of the dowels (can see humps in cover).

I found something to pry behind cover at the kinda like Roger’s picture (I used half a channel lock plyer) at the 2oclock position. And a 2foot 1x2 stuck through frame, behind the tab at the 7oclock position and tap with hammer from other side of bike.

got enough of a crack open to hit the dowel area with penitrent (deep creep is good stuff, expensive, so save for worse case) early this morning. And let it sit for 3 hours. Then later this morning with more of the same taping and prying, got it to wiggle out a little bit at a time.

yep, dowels rusty some. Maybe when I did this 15 years ago was before I learnt to use neverseize on stuff.

Attached Files
              Last edited by Redman; 05-18-2022, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Will be a few days before can get back to it.
                FA626926-5309-4BB8-836C-46AFF4A7059D.jpg
                Attached Files
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                Last edited by Redman; 05-18-2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Fantastic!

I hope getting that old crusty gasket off proves easier than removing the cover.

Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Maybe I've always been lucky. The clutch lever itself can be used to push the cover away from the cases. I usually augment the leverage a bit with a wrench.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      Maybe I've always been lucky. The clutch lever itself can be used to push the cover away from the cases. I usually augment the leverage a bit with a wrench.
                      Ha !

Good idea (if dont disconnect the cable first....)

Comment

At least for the cover I would submerge it in water for 24 hours or so. In my experience these types of gaskets come off really easily after that, practically peeling off by hand.

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                        Fantastic!

I hope getting that old crusty gasket off proves easier than removing the cover.
                        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Ha !

Good idea (if dont disconnect the cable first....)

I never thought to try it that way. I always have everything disconnected and ready to come off.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                            At least for the cover I would submerge it in water for 24 hours or so. In my experience these types of gaskets come off really easily after that, practically peeling off by hand.
                            Diesel works too
                            1983 GS 550 LD
                            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                            X