Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Wheel Bearing Seals - GS550E (1980)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Wheel Bearing Seals - GS550E (1980)

Dear All,

This is a re-post (I posted a question about this in the wrong place - forum newbie!).
    But I thought I would re-post as I have found the solution, which may be of use to others?

My question was about the rear wheel bearing kits for a 1980 GS550 E ... you get the two main rear wheel bearings, the big bearing to go in the sprocket hub carrier, and a seal for this side (only!).

At least that is what is supplied in the UK.

My question was about a seal for the other side ... the disk side with the 'mushroom' spacer on a GS550 - I could find no info anywhere - and no main suppliers sold one?

Anyways, I have (after trial and error and a trusty measuring calliper) worked out the size and got it from a 'bearing and seals' shop.

I purchased a 28x47x6_TC seal ... it is Nitrile Rubber rotary shaft seal, with spring gaiter ... and it fits like a treat - nicely over part of the spacer as well.

This info may be of use to others.....

Best wishes, Niall (& Fergus)

1980 GS550E
    GS550 1980

Yes! and you can usually always find most seals and bearings much cheaper from bearing stockists rather than so called OEM which are either listed as NLA or 10 times the price because they come in the Suzuki ( or others ) packaging.
    Just try to stick with well know makes such as SKF, KOYO, NSK, TIMKEN etc and you can't go far wrong.
    Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
    VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Cheers for the advice zed1015 ... We'll keep an eye out for those makes.

Cheers, N & F
      GS550 1980

Comment

Working...
      X