Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting from scratch-Need help identifying my engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting from scratch-Need help identifying my engine.

So, I bought an engine, just the engine and carbs so far. I do hope to build a bike around it over the next couple years while learning a bit more about wrenching on motorcycles.
    The Facebook post listed it as a 1984 GS1100, which makes sense so far. It is definitely set up with a shaft drive, which leads me to a GS1100G. But I’m seeing a lot of references to 1983, not so much 84, and most of the manuals break between 83 and 84. I want to make sure I get compatible parts for my engine.

Engine number is U701-116115. Quick googling says that the U would fit for the engine size of 1100cc, with the 7 meaning four stroke, check. What does the rest mean? And without any vin info, can I be certain of the year of manufacture? Does it matter when getting spare parts for this vintage?

1D03E326-BCDA-4BDE-ADF8-6536B821ED90.jpg

Factory painted black engine and carbs make it an ‘83, I believe.

My next step would be finding a frame with a title that is transferable, otherwise you may have a difficult time registering it depending on the laws in MI.

My little bit of research shows all only GS 1150 in ‘84.

If your engine is an ‘83 then your choice of frame is from models G, GK, and GL. Different frames I’m fairly sure, so yes, spare parts matter. Not that you couldn’t make a lot of parts from one model work on another. GK likely has larger diameter forks. Compare frames and other parts in the fiches on sites like partshark.com
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-24-2022, 08:36 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

There were later year 1100GK bikes. Didn't they get a black engine one year?
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

A decent frame and title will be crucial, but MI is home to huge car rebuild culture, we actually have statutes for "assembled vehicles" literally something thrown together from parts. Major league sports is almost second to restoring old cars and such around here.

Comment

Ok thank you, so most likely an 1983 GS1100G not an 1984.
          Were there any significant changes/differences or will aftermarket parts for the one will generally fit the other?

Comment

Aftermarket parts are typically universal (universally ill fitting) on any bike. It really depends on what parts you're talking about. Many parts are still available OEM New/Old Stock (NOS), but you want to get the right parts to fit properly on the frame you get. If your going for complete custom everything, then the world is your oyster.
            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-25-2022, 06:16 PM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

greetings from another Michigander (although west of Grand Rapids).

yes, if 1100g the front lower part of cylinder block will say 1074cc and will have shaft drive secondary output flange.

As for GKs, they were 82 83 84.

see the model chart on GSR website (not the forum) for years of the 1100g and gl.

engine will be same for all years and all models of 1100G/GK/GL (with 83s being black).
              with you having engine only, You will be looking for at least the drive shaft stuff and final drive, which I would think are same for all 1100g/gl/GK years, but some year GK have slightly different gear ratio for final drive. I have seen comments that the 850s drive shaft will not fit, but I’d don’t have experince with that.

when looking for frame, keep in mind that the GK and g frames are essentially the same. The GL is different, more rake whatever and meant for different tank, seat, fenders, front end. Is more like what Kawasaki called LTD and yam called special and Honda called custom at the time.
              oh, the GL just had L on side panel, so some folks might call it L.

if you find a 1100G frame, the way to tell I’d actually a GK is some extra braces and threaded holes on down tubes (for fairing mount), but other wize same, swapable.

also be aware that GK front end different than G.

huh, my 82 GK doesn’t have engine numbers there

maybe that means I am counterfeit har har …. Or yours isn’t an 82.
              2170AED8-A851-4326-B267-64BB22BE6AFF.jpg
              Last edited by Redman; 05-26-2022, 09:53 AM. Reason: Yammer some more, being a GKeek.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Oh, wait, I recall something about head and cam cover difference at some year. Something about another stud for the cam cover. I don’t recall what year. Someone will chime in……..

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                X