Engine Compression Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Compression Testing

I am restoring an 82 GS650G and I have two engines on hand that I can use on the build. I need to assess the "health" of these two engines currently on engine stands (not in a bike frame) to see which is the better of the two to use in the build. What is the best way to test the compression etc when they're not currently hooked up to the ignition etc? Is it possible to place a compression gauge one cylinder at a time and hook a battery/off/on switch to the battery to turn the engine over sufficiently to get a reading? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    GS550T 1981
    GS850G 1983
    GS650G 1982
    GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

What you're suggesting really isn't much different than how you would do it with the engine in the bike frame. Wire up the starter to the battery using appropriate gauge wire and a switch. Or if you're like me, skip the switch and just touch and hold the + wire to the + battery post and let the sparks fly and starter spin.

Pull all the plugs and make sure the throttle is open all the way if the carbs are still installed.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Yep, what he ^^^^ said. The pistons will be going up & down as the starter turns the engine weather in the bike or on the stand.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Sure ,check the compression …..but this is a small indication of engine health . This is a plain bearing motor requiring high oil pressure …..depending on how it’s been treated, you could have bearing issues. Any idea of mileage on these two candidates ? My 650 still running fine at 65k miles, but I work on good karma.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Good points Tom.
          - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

Check the valve clearance. If there is no clearance, that engine may have burned valves.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Great advice from everyone ... thanks a million (Canadian dollars ) I have two engines and they're both believed to have a round 35K KM on them according to the odometers they came with so I am "hopeful" they've not been driven hard or mistreated. I'll start with the valve clearances and then try the compression. The carbs are off so no worries on the throttle remaining wide open.

Thanks again!
              GS550T 1981
              GS850G 1983
              GS650G 1982

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                What you're suggesting really isn't much different than how you would do it with the engine in the bike frame. Wire up the starter to the battery using appropriate gauge wire and a switch. Or if you're like me, skip the switch and just touch and hold the + wire to the + battery post and let the sparks fly and starter spin.

Pull all the plugs and make sure the throttle is open all the way if the carbs are still installed.
                What would you suggest on the gauge of wire to the starter?
                GS550T 1981
                GS850G 1983
                GS650G 1982

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.humbucker View Post

What would you suggest on the gauge of wire to the starter?
                  6sq mm will be adequate for a test setup. Convert that to your AWG online.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

If you have a complete bike, just use the battery cables off the bike if they're easy to remove and long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

6sq mm will be adequate for a test setup. Convert that to your AWG online.
                      So I "think" that's 10 AWG from my online search ... does this sound about right?
                      GS550T 1981
                      GS850G 1983
                      GS650G 1982

Comment

I'd say so.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Just remember that compression will be a bit low as the motor will be cold

Comment

Working...
                          X