Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake Fluid Leak at Bleeder Screw Seats after Rebuild - Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Fluid Leak at Bleeder Screw Seats after Rebuild - Now What?

Hello GS forum members,

Been a long time since my last post and my restored 1983 GL650GL now has a new home. (Should never have sold it!)

That said, I have a question that applies to most all vintage bikes.

I'm restoring a 1983 Honda GL650I Silver Wing. This was a one-owner bike with a 1984 title! Great find.

I just finished a complete disassembly and rebuild of both front brake calipers. Used Brakecrafters rebuild kits, which I've used in the past. Also installed new pistons, Galfer SS braided brake lines, and rebuilt the master cylinder as well.

Everything is fine EXCEPT: I have very small leaks at both bleeder screws! Arrrgggghhhh ! ! !

Figured this means the bleeder screw seats in the calipers must be bad. But, I inspected them during the rebuild and they looked fine. Not pitted or out of round, etc.

I first used the new bleeder screws that came with the rebuild kits. Since those leaked, I decided to get the old original bleeder screws and put them back in place in the calipers. Even the old ones still have slight leaks when closed.

Many decades of rebuilding vintage bike brake calipers and I've never had this happen before. What the heck?!

I sure don't want to waste these just-rebuilt calipers. So, what next?

Has anyone else had a bleeder screw seat leak in old calipers and, if so, how did you fix it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

That is very odd as I’ve rebuilt and sold over 50-75 calipers over the last 8 years and never had that happen. You could look up the bleeder part # used for that model/ year bike and buy a new set. The other suggestion would be to wrap the bleeder threads with Teflon tape screw/ seat it and see if that stops the leak.
    1976 Suzuki GT750A (Maui Blue)
    1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candy Tone Blue)
    1984 Yamaha RZ350 KRR (Competition Yellow)

Evans
    Macon, GA

Comment

Originally posted by BEW View Post
      That is very odd as I’ve rebuilt and sold over 50-75 calipers over the last 8 years and never had that happen. You could look up the bleeder part # used for that model/ year bike and buy a new set. The other suggestion would be to wrap the bleeder threads with Teflon tape screw/ seat it and see if that stops the leak.
      Yes, it IS very odd. Never had it happen before.

Thought of the Teflon tape, but it's not the threads that are leaking, it's the seat at the tip of the bleeder screw. The tape may stop the leak at rest, but probably not with pressure in the system when the brake is applied.

Comment

Both? I could see maybe one getting some kind of accidental contamination, but both? Like you said, it's not the threads that seal, but the tip of the screw. Metal on metal seal by deforming one until it conforms to the other. Perhaps something got in there that your eyeballs can't see?
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

accidental contamination? yep, maybe, but again on both sides???
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Teflon tape if you're sure it's coming from the threads.... I've seen this before with people using new bleeders on old calipers. Normally the OG ones don't leak.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

^ so true salty- monk!
              1976 Suzuki GT750A (Maui Blue)
              1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candy Tone Blue)
              1984 Yamaha RZ350 KRR (Competition Yellow)

Evans
              Macon, GA

Comment

Working...
              X