Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83-GS650M; 82/83-GS750SG750E/S/D front fork.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83-GS650M; 82/83-GS750SG750E/S/D front fork.

Looking at a GS650E for sale here in Aus and i noticed the odd set up at the bottom of the fork. It has a hydraulic line from the caliper to a set up, i presume is a fork damper of some kind.

What is it exactly and how does it work, I had a look at the parts file and see it is on the 82-G750E and 83-GS750E/S/D and 83-GS650M.

This is the 82 GS650E that has what looks to be the front forks from an 82 GS650M, (Katana).
    ad-assets_2022-04_disc 0572-403.jpg
    82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
    Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
    Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
    Albums

It’s an anti-dive system. How well it actually works has been debated. There’s quite a bit about it in this factory supplement. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UqX...w?usp=drivesdk
    starting on page 32 (pg 35 of the pdf).
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I still have my 1983 GS 750ES, which I purchased new. I am one of those people who thinks the anti-dive is fantastic. Other brake issues arise, like sticky brake sliders, which people attribute to the anti-dive, but once you have ridden a bike that does not loose ground clearance in turns, and stops on a dime, you will find it hard to ride anything else. I wish my Kaw ZZR1200 had anti-dive.

Comment

Thank fellas, Downloading the manual to read a i write. Had a read. I'm the type of rider that doesn't brake in corners, in fact i usually ride using engine braking and in a manner where i don't use brakes much at all. Still i see the value in principle especially when the brakes are needed. Thanks again

Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
        Albums

Comment

The supplement above is not for the GS750ESD, but the anti-dive is the same. If it is working, keep it. You can find working units cheap on EBAY. If water gets into the system, it can render them useless because of some rust, but there are many YouTube videos on how to rebuild them. Cheaper to buy a paired of used working ones off of EBAY though. Once you make sure your brakes are moving freely, that anti dive will become your friend. I don't use my rear brake much. Just for coming up slowly on stop lights to stop the bike from wiggling, but never in a turn.

Comment

Ebay cheapies aren't cheep from over here. The GS650 didn't make it to Aus unless imported so parts are hard to get here and in todays market they become very expensive to import especially with our $ being so low and Fleecebayers mark up on postage.

I wanted to talk to the seller and know what i was talking about, (well make him think i know), Bike is at the bottom of Aus and i am near the top, so with price asking and distance it is out of my price range. I appreciate the help.
            Albums

Comment

Working...
            X