Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak at oil pressure sensor 16v 750

This was my post a few weeks ago:

I should have known better than to comment on another member’s maintenance goofs. Changing oil and filter this evening, the red part of the oil pressure sensor spun when I tried to loosen the nut that holds the sensor wire terminal. Of course the 40 rear old terminal broke. Got it sorted. Went for a little night ride. I’ll have to keep an eye on that for oil leaks. The red part never spun before in previous removals of that screw.

Sure enough, today I noticed the puddle under where I had been parked.

Oil filter cover is all wet.

I removed just the top 2 acorn nuts and cap that covers the sensor. Sensor was wet too. So, I assume the red part that now spins is letting oil seep through. I was going to clean it up, spray it with foot powder spray, run it, verify the leaky spot. I should have, but didn’t.

I have a spare cover with intact sensor with red part that doesn’t spin. So removed spare from other cover and swapped it for the (presumed) leaky one. Both sensors seemed to have some sort of white shmutz on the fine threads of the sensor into the oil filter cover. I figured Teflon tape would do. It didn’t. A short ride revealed that the leak is still present.

So, the cart already before the horse, I decided to read what Mr. Clymer has to say on the matter of proper shmutz for the sensor threads.

Now, I don’t know what Bond No. 4 is or was, but what should I be using to seal the sensor threads into the oil filter cover? Something commonly available at an auto parts store would be good. What about plumbers pipe dope? Honestly, that’s what the old stuff looked like.

When I did the sensor swap, a bit of oil seeped out of the hole. That should have been my clue to stop what I was doing. I would image that hole wants to be good and dry before refitting the sensor with “whatever” on the threads. Later this week, I’ll get to fixing this. Will powder spray the area and definitively pinpoint the leak. Then refit the sensor. Maybe lift, tilt bike/engine rearward on the center stand a bit before unscrewing the sensor, drying, shmutzing and rescrewing it in.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 10-23-2022, 06:43 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

I just replaced that sensor on a bike and I used pipe dope. No leaks!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Thanks, Ron! Just wanted to be sure I wasn’t way off on this.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Various pipe dopes would work. Just enough and no mo'.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thank's Dave. Will be sure to use "just enough". Is that like a pinch, a skosh, a smidgen, a modicum, or a tad?
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

We’ll see if a shmear will do the trick.

Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Ya'll forgot???... " a little dab will do ya"...... Also I've done gas piping for a lot of yrs. My opinion, Teflon tape applied clockwise, trimmed off at the very bottom edge so none can or will get inside.... No wrong answers, as long as some type sealer is used.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I've never been a fan of Teflon tape. First time I used it was on a fuel fitting on my car. A piece came off and got stuck in the needle / seat and caused a massive flooding issue. Installer error for sure, but personally the thought of an errant piece of Teflon in the engine oil would bother me a bit. But as noted, just enough is the correct answer.
                In my years of hvac work Leak Lock is my go to thread sealer.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

When I removed the fitting with the teflon tape on it, ALL of the tape had pushed out to form a collar under the sensor on the outside of the oil filter cover. It was perfectly applied and yes I know which way to wind it. No way it could have worked. A short test ride last night and ride to work this morning look promising. But is was really foggy this morning and now it's raining. Wasn't supposed to rain, but it is. It usually does on the days I HAVE to take my bike to work. The MINI is being detailed. Something I treat it to once a year.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Dang, I've never seen correctly installed Teflon tape crawl up the threads to the outer edge, for me that's the main advantage over pipe dope, as the liquid dope will be pushed to the outer edge. Also always trim the tape to the very inner thread, anything left below the last thread can't help seal anything, and has no place to go but inside what you're working on. Whatever works, just glad it's resolved.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                    X