Help with Ignition Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Ignition Points

Hi everyone, recently decided to replace my points and condensor to try to make my bike run better. After taking the points off, I am seeing a difference in how the points were placed than what it is in my service manual. In the manual, to adjust point gap it says to adjust these two screws (in attached link) securing breaker points to breaker plate, but on the left point, there was only one screw present and it doesn't look like there is even a place for another screw that would match what is in the manual. Did the previous owner leave out a part for the breaker plate or something? Any help or advice would be appreciated. I am sorry if I am missing something obvious, to be honest any electrical parts cause me a lot of confusion.
    Find, rate and share the best memes and images. Discover the magic of the Internet at Imgur.

Most Suzukis came with two different point sets. Nippon Denso, or Kokusan. Did you check to see what the OEM parts are?
    It would be helpful to tell us what model and year you have
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Might be better to junk the points and fit a Dyna 'S'.
      Fit and forget.
      Stronger spark, easier starting and more power.
      Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
      VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        Most Suzukis came with two different point sets. Nippon Denso, or Kokusan. Did you check to see what the OEM parts are?
        It would be helpful to tell us what model and year you have
        Hey, totally forgot to include the year and model, sorry about that. It is a 1977 GS400. From a cursory search online, it looks like the OEM were Nippon Denso.

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't know if I can afford those right now, but they do look like they really lower the annoyance factor lol.

Comment

It may be that there were two different types. The first type in this link looks like what you have.
            ✓ Official Suzuki parts list ✓ Easy repairs with OEM diagrams ✓ Free acccess to parts fiches for Suzuki GS400X 1977 (B) USA (E03)
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Yeah looking at it, it does seem like that is what I have. Glad to know that the PO didn't juryrig some weird ignition system, thank you for the help!

Comment

Working...
              X